lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default What's the downside to bigger tires?

Don't know if this is the correct area to ask this in, but I'll give it a try. I currently am running 20x10.00-10 tires and got room in the wheel wells with the 4 inch lift kit for something bigger.

I was wondering what the downside mechanically of getting bigger tires would be. The cart is electric and I don't want to get into a scenario of replacing parts because of the increase stress and weight of those bigger tires. I'm sure the drive train was not designed in the very beginning with this mod in mind.

Thanks in advance.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What's the downside to bigger tires?

With a 4 inch lift kit i would not go over 22” tire.

On the good side you will have a better top speed and a better look

The down side is you will loose torque about 10% is you go from 20 to 22 tire

20/22 =0.90
1-0.90=0.10 =10%
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
natew121
Gone Wild

it all depends on your type of "riding" for off-road use with bigger tires you have to beef up the motor a bit imo for both gas and electric..if its a neighborhood cart its all for looks.. with that being said yes you gain top speed going bigger and loose some tq. BUT depending upon the tire/tread you may be gaining a considerable amount of traction which can sometimes out weight the Loss of Tq. just my .02.. for instance -beach use you can have all the tq and power in the world if the tires don't bite and hook your left spinning & digging your self into a hole. vs less power but good tires that hook you can let the tread do the work.
natew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great input, thank you. I'm learning slowly, but surly.

This cart is being used to go up and down a steep hill to the lake on a dirt path. Since DW and I are in that AARP bracket some of our friends simply can not make the hill (that's when the back seat comes in handy). The other times this cart is used is over washboard gravel roads visiting neighbors, or just for a cool evening ride the two of us and a cocktail or two.

I guess this cart is meant for go and not for show (which is the reason I bought it in the first place.) Just going to have to wait to make a looker. Problem is I love to tinker .
Old 09-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Great input, thank you. I'm learning slowly, but surly.

This cart is being used to go up and down a steep hill to the lake on a dirt path. Since DW and I are in that AARP bracket some of our friends simply can not make the hill (that's when the back seat comes in handy). The other times this cart is used is over washboard gravel roads visiting neighbors, or just for a cool evening ride the two of us and a cocktail or two.

I guess this cart is meant for go and not for show (which is the reason I bought it in the first place.) Just going to have to wait to make a looker. Problem is I love to tinker .
Do not put big tires on the cart until you have power to sacrifice. That will require speed control upgrade FIRST then tires. Just remember the cart is designed to carry 2 people on moderately flat terrain for short distances. The further you deviate from the designed operation the less the drive system can deliver.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you ScottyB.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Thank you ScottyB.
No problem, Your little tires are making the cart do what it can do right now. PS I have 20" tires on all my electrics because honestly I like to spin around where most people turn around.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
dankfoot
Getting Wild

Spinning ain't winning, but it sure is fun.
dankfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Large tires will decrease your torque and battery run times. Will increase your top speed and look badass though. Upgrade your electrical and have the best of both worlds.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Calitoyz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cruise master do you have a photos of your cart with the 4” and 20” tires. I have a 1998 EZGO and can’t decide on a 3” or 4” with 20” tires. I really wanted 22” but like people are saying I really don’t want to mess With mods. Thanks
Calitoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts