lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
jonsmonte
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Swing Arm extension for my G9

So who here has the best advise to drop my swingarm? I need to gain about 4" for clearance for my big block. I already have a 6" lift with the longer shocks from a 400EX honda. Should I keep these shocks and just drop the swing arm 4"? I would like to lengthen the swing arm about 4" also. How will this effect my ride height? Any ideas are worth throwing out.

Thanks
jonsmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Swing Arm extension for my G9

I did just what your talking about. I did however use the factory shocks on my cart after dropping and moving the swing arm back.

I just made the mounts for the swing arm longer after dropping them too move the original swing arm back. I went 4" down and 5" back. I then had to move my body back 5". I didn't measure when moving it back and the wheel wells were too far forward.

Do a lot of measuring if you do this modification.

Here is a link to my post about how I dropped and extended my swing arm back!

Swing arm.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
jonsmonte
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I did just what your talking about. I did however use the factory shocks on my cart after dropping and moving the swing arm back.

I just made the mounts for the swing arm longer after dropping them too move the original swing arm back. I went 4" down and 5" back. I then had to move my body back 5". I didn't measure when moving it back and the wheel wells were too far forward.

Do a lot of measuring if you do this modification.

Here is a link to my post about how I dropped and extended my swing arm back!

Swing arm.Thank you! I think that's what I'm going to do too! I may try to use the shocks I have and just shorten the mounting location. How much more room did you get for your big block clearance?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
jonsmonte
Getting Wild

Yamaha

LOL I suck at this! The first part is supposed to be smokindawgs quote!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I didn't measure before and after son don't really know. I have however since mounted a 25hp Kawasaki V-twin in the cart and had plenty of clearance room and the engine is huge.

It's easiest to mock up your mounts using cardboard first. It makes it much easier to make changes. I then taped all the mocked up parts together and set them in where I planned to use them. Worked great.

The only thing I'd suggest, and I'm doing it now myself after a part broke, is too beef up the added/extended parts. There is a lot of pressure and flex in that area and it broke the steel I welded my boxed mounts too. I'm welding a brace or two on them both up to the frame to strengthen it more. I was however on some of the roughest trails I've ridden on before, so I guess I'm lucky I only broke one spot.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
jonsmonte
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Wow the budge build was a lot of work. I like the muffler idea. Was there a certain Harley muffler that you used or that anyone else recommends?
Also why did you change to the G2 diff? Will the G9 diff handle my 30 hp kohler?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

As for the muffler, I actually just picked up three mufflers and one entire exhaust system in the scrap yard. No certain muffler. I then used a reducer to make the 2 into 1 and just made sure one side was the right size for the muffler to slide over. Then I used the factory clamp and just made a good strong mount for the muffler to swing arm.

As for the rear change, the cart was originally a G1 which has no reverse in the rear. I had to change it so that I could get reverse in the cart. The G2 is just what I happened to find.

I see no reason why your G9 rear differential shouldn't handle the 30hp Kohler. I've heard (don't know for fact) that the G2 probably has the toughest rear but no reason to suspect the G9 has a weaker one.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I looked at your pictures and notices what looks like 400EX shocks on the front of your G9. I, as well as many others here, have found that while they will work, these shocks aren't heavy enough. The ones on my G1 single A-arm are way too soft and while they allow good articulation, they allow a very excessive amount of bump steer making the cart pretty unstable at speed. Anything over about 20 can be very dangerous.

I'm in the process of looking for a double A-arm setup from an ATV to put under the front of my cart now. It will make it much more stable and capable of running at top speeds safely once set up correctly.

With an engine the size of the kohler you'll need a better front end set up and brakes on the front would really be a plus too.

These carts are a blast to work on and I'm enjoying all the fab work I've done. One day I'll get this G1 to the point I will stop working on it and then I can get started on my G2 that's setting behind the shed waiting on the BB 18hp Vanguard I have for it.

Good luck with your build and take lots of pictures.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
jonsmonte
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Yes. You are correct. I have 400 ex shocks all around and the front suspension does stink. That will be he next project. Find a wrecked quad and install the front suspension and brakes. I hit 21 with the stock motor and it was stable. But I can't imagine what hill happen at 30-40 mph. I will start a build thread this weekend when I tear the swing arm apart. Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

No problem. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. I tend to be a budget builder and build as cheap as possible. I reuse lots of things some wouldn't but so far, I haven't killed myself.

I had my G1 with stock front parts other than lift up too 35mph on our dirt road. It was scary to say the least. And I'm sure the front tires were really dancing. I'm going to try adding spacers to stiffen to the shock springs to stiffen up the front until I can find the right front end to put under it.

I'm also picking up another cart today. I'm going to remove the back half of the G1 body and install a bed (Much like the mule and Polaris.) I'm going to make it a dump so I can get to my engine that way. I'm also building a roll cage for it. So, more changes coming for mine as well.

I look forward to seeing your build thread.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts