lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
juscgdc2
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 TXT Belt Issues?

We have a 98 txt gas cart at work that i'm trying to get working. It start up and runs fine with the exception of the drive belt looking like it's so loose it just won't drive. the clutch just spins freely and the belt just rubs over it. we have a brand new belt on it. From things i can find online it is the correct belt but it just doesn't seem right. it's a 72054g01 dayco belt.

I just got here a month ago and it looks like whoever had done work on the cart has been gone for some time now. I have zero experience with these carts so please help me out, thanks
juscgdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1998 TXT Belt Issues?

the drive belts are not tight, they have some play in them. Yes that belt is the standard belt for your cart. If you want the HD belt it is part number: 72328g01. The HD belt runs about .5 inch shorter for more torque.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
juscgdc2
Not Yet Wild

It's more than just not tight. I can take the belt off easily without loosening anything. Is there some sort of tensioner that just may be missing for some reason. there wasn't anyway i could see of adjusting it. And thanks for the part# but a 1/2" shorter would be nowhere near enough.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The belt will come off with no effort. A stock belt will flop loosly and can be taken off with no problem. This is the way it is suppost to be!! Those two round things the belt goes around are clutches. Under acceleration the drive clutch ( the one on the engine ) will engage onto the belt and take the slack out. As this happens, the now tight belt will turn the driven clutch ( the one on the rear axle ) and propel you in whichever direction the selector is in. For a quick test run, put it up on jack stands and mash the accelerater and watch it in action. It will soon all make sense. Trust in BGW. Most of these guys make their living working on these things. By the way welcome to BGW and pictures are a sure way to get some great reply's.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
WILD-BILL
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

He's absoultly right. The stock belt looks way to loose especially if your used to seeing CVT clutches in perfomance applications. They will come off with ease. It doesn't "look" right but it is.

If the drive cluch is no snapping in and grabbing the belt you need to remove the cluch and inpsetc and repair it. Might just be stuck from to much belt dust and need a good cleaning or might need some parts replaced.

WILD-BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
juscgdc2
Not Yet Wild

ok, ok i gotcha. like i said i'm a noob in this area. Hopefully thats it. the drive clutch is supposed to slide in towards the motor to engage the belt? Mines not doing that so i will tear it apart and clean it. I would upload pictures but i'm on a uscg computer and can't connect anything to it.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

yes the drive clutch (engine clutch) is supposed to move in to grab the belt. if it not you may have broken weights in the clutch. Take it apart and look.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Remove the belt and try to manually push the drive clutch in by hand to see if you can move it. It may just be hung up or need a little penetrating oil on the shaft..
Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
juscgdc2
Not Yet Wild

It moves freely now without the belt on. It makes a clicking sound whenever it's sliding in and out but it will not move on it's own. I am trying to removing the 6 or 8 bolts that hold that outer plate on but one is stripped. if i unbolt the outer plate will it open right up for me to inspect the parts inside or will i have to unbolt the whole clutch from the motor. Also, if i have to remove the entire clutch. Is there a trick to keeping it from rotating freely as i try to loosen the bolts
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

First I would run the engine with the belt off and see if the clutch is engageing. If the drive clutch is still not engageing, the off with the clutch.. First, you cannot remove the clutch by taking off the small bolts around the outside of the clutch. You must remove the center bolt and obtain or make a puller to force the clutch off the shaft. Search the tech forum to get dimensions on clutch pullers. Second, to my knowledge learned from BGW there are no replacement parts within the drive clutch. A cleaning might do the trick but from the symptoms you posted I doubt a cleaning will work. Keep us posted!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO