lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Few lithium swap questions

Just picked up a 01 DS with dead batteries. Been looking at the swaps til my eyes fall out. So heres my questions:

1. How much are you guys spending on these kits? Im trying to come in around $1000

2. Whats the difference between G1 and G2 batteries?

3. If I go with a 7 pack of leaf batteries whats my range and how hard would it be to add another pack?

4. Do all the leaf/volt/honda lithium builds fit in the DS and is one better than the other?

5. Techdirect the cheapest place?

How are these swaps? https://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-112AH-4...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-4kwh-94...53.m1438.l2649
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Few lithium swap questions

Since apperantly no one knows the difference about the generations, I found this: https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TEC...li_ion_ev.html

So it looks like the G2 would give longer run time.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Just picked up a 01 DS with dead batteries. Been looking at the swaps til my eyes fall out. So heres my questions:

1. How much are you guys spending on these kits? Im trying to come in around $1000
I did my lithium conversion about a year ago, think I spent around $1,400 if memory serves. I did a Leaf 14 module pack.

2. Whats the difference between G1 and G2 batteries?
Long story short, the Leaf G1 modules had a bit of a cooling issue, so their life was degraded quicker than anticipated. Best to go with G2 or G3 modules. G2 modules are easier to work with, from what I have seen anyway.

3. If I go with a 7 pack of leaf batteries whats my range and how hard would it be to add another pack?
Too many variables to be able to give a good answer.
4. Do all the leaf/volt/honda lithium builds fit in the DS and is one better than the other?
Leaf and volt batteries seem to be the easier ones to work with. Leaf batteries are much easier for the DIYer, and in my opinion at least, seemingly safer than the volt batteries. Assuming you have a DS that was originally manufactured as an electric cart, a 7 module will fit with room to spare. A 14 module seems to be at best difficult.

5. Techdirect the cheapest place?

How are these swaps? https://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-112AH-4...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-4kwh-94...53.m1438.l2649
Here is a good thread started by DaveTM. There is a lot of good technical information shared by many folks. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=145805

I know there are a couple of other threads with good technical information, if I can find them, I'll share them as well. Hope this helps, I'll try and answer any questions you have. I'm no guru, but hopefully they will chime in if I can't help.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just to clarify, the link You posted refers to the Second generation of the Leaf automobile itself.

The G1 and G2 references you find are based on the different versions of the original 24kwh leaf module (the first two pictured below):

G1 -> 2011-2012
G2 -> 2013-2015 aka Lizard battery

As mentioned the Leaf does not have a Temperature management System (TMS) and the G1 batteries suffered fast degradation in very hot areas like Arizona.

Nissan instead of re-engineering the Leaf to add a TMS, decided to adjust the battery chemistry so it would be more tolerant to severe hot climates and the G2 or Lizard battery came out in mid 2013.

The G2 battery did not completely solve the problem in the hot areas, but it did resolve the issue almost everywhere else.

Unfortunately Nissan also extended the pack discharge and charge levels allowed at the same time they released the G2 modules so while the battery chemistry was more tolerant to heat, the batteries may have had a harder life.

You can definitely build a 7 module pack for under $900 including BMS and charger, the kits from TechDirect are not engineered for golf carts, but the modules and box are fine.

I think the Leaf modules have the best layout for a DIY build and if properly designed from the beginning, you can build a 7 module now and later build another 7 module that can be paralleled with the first without having to reconfigure the entire pack.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I agree with Sergio! Leaf modules are the easiest to work with for our application. I have G2 modules that I installed in 2016. Problem today is that the available modules are years old and could be heavily used. Mine were almost new - the wrecked Leaf supposedly only had 600 miles on it.
We need to find a source of newer batteries soon. It doesn't make a lot of sense to put 6 or more year old modules in unless you can get them for much less than what they are going for today.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanx for your help guys. So anything wrong with the techdirect kit and using their BMS? I was looking at this one now: https://www.techdirectclub.com/48-vo...mbly-required/

Looks like I can get it for close to $600 shipped then should only need a charger. Should i go this route or is there better for the price? Also what charger would you recommend?
Old 03-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Remember what Sergio just said "the kits from TechDirect are not engineered for golf carts, but the modules and box are fine." Do not use a kit with a TechDirect BMS. They are for Solar installs. Buy the parts separately from them. You will only be able to get about a sixty amps out of their BMS. Which will cause you problems on hills. Read through this post. To give you some ideas

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=158728
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Is there an affordable BMS? Also, is the charger from techdirect ok?
Old 03-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Sergio did a great write up with using an inexpensive BMS from China and also sent links to it, the box for the BMS, the charger, and gives all the schematics to boot.
Sergio is an invaluable asset to listen to on these builds. He has done Many of them and is a wealth of knowledge on these things.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sergio, tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full. Anyway,I know you guys told me about not using the BMS from techdirect but do you think Ill be ok with it for a little while? Reason i ask is because im gonna need to get this cart done my memorial day and techdirect has the full 7 leaf kit for $640 shipped right now. Are you saying that as soon as I put too big of a load on the pack itll shut down? My cart has a 10hp motor and a 500amp alltrax controller, you think Ill be ok for a while til I can upgrade the BMS? I will only be using this cart at campgrounds fyi but some might have small hills.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car