lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
GolfCartBeanBagBoys07
Not Yet Wild

Angry 2001 Club Car Sputtering, Barely Charging

Hello, I am new to the Golf Cart world. Well, sort of. I worked at a Golf Course for many years, but we always had gas carts, so I am new to the Electric Golf Cart World haha.

We just bought a used 48V 2001 Electric Club Car. It ran pretty well last fall, only ran it 4-5 time for about 20-30 minutes a clip. After the winter, I charged her up and ran it once! Took about a 10 minute ride around the neighborhood, and as I am pulling back to the backyard it started losing power.

So, I charged it up, and boom nothing. At most, I am getting a consistent sputter. Nothing is moving, and the horn/lights won't even come on. The batteries were tested by a buddy, and they seem to be charging, but very very slowly. The charge is only charging at like 5 amps or less, often it shuts off before ever finishing the charge job.

Am I having a charger problem? A motor problem? Or a battery problem?
GolfCartBeanBagBoys07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 Club Car Sputtering, Barely Charging

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Inspect all of your power cables on your batteries and make sure none of them are corroded and/or about to break off.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Like Tahoe said, bad connection. Check the battery cable ends. ANY corrosion needs to be removed, and if cables are damaged they need to be replaced ASAP.

Also check the voltage of each battery. You should have above 8 volts one each battery. Preferably you need 8.49 volts per battery if they have a full charge. Any that are below 8 volts minimum are a problem.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
GolfCartBeanBagBoys07
Not Yet Wild

...I will double check when I get home tonight, but have a feeling my buddy was saying there was only like 2-3 volts per battery, meaning 12-18 volts total? - May not be enough to get the charger running?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If they're that low the charger wouldn't even turn on.
If you have one or two that are that low, the charger may turn on, but it may not be able to charge them properly.
Any battery that is that low is DEAD, and there is no bringing it back. If that's the case you need an entire new set of batteries.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
GolfCartBeanBagBoys07
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If they're that low the charger wouldn't even turn on.
If you have one or two that are that low, the charger may turn on, but it may not be able to charge them properly.
Any battery that is that low is DEAD, and there is no bringing it back. If that's the case you need an entire new set of batteries.
I'm sorry, he just told me that 5 of the 6 batteries were at 6, one was at ~2.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car