lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
NCMau
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Connection Question

I am restoring an older electric 36V Melex, which I understand is similar to the early EZ GO brand. Before ordering cables and other components, I would like to test the motor. The motor has 4 connections, A1, A2, S1 and S2. I am not very familiar with this type of DC motors.
Can anybody tell me how to apply the voltage directly to the motor, bypassing the control circuit? A1and A2 should be the armature, but what is the function of S1 and S2?
I am getting my feet wet on this project and any help will be appreciated.
NCMau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
bigk
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor Connection Question

Scottyb may be able to help with this one just be patient they will reply?
bigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Remove and isolate all motor connections.
Make sure rear wheels are free and supported.

Connect a jumper from A1-S1
I use a 12v charger in boost mode for testing but a 12v battery will work just fine. Connect the power source to the remaining two terminals. Don't worry about polarity. The motor should turn one way or the other.

DO NOT RUN AN ELECTRIC GOLF CART MOTOR WITH THE FRONT SHAFT UNSUPPORTED!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Boris
DELETED

Good idea you have to ask questions, just make sure you understand the answers before striking out on your own .....
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-exploder.html

to BGW NCMau
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
NCMau
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply PG. I will try your suggested motor testing shortly. Reading the schematic, I just want to make sure that I understand the function of the F-R switch:
S2 is permanently connected to one terminal of the battery.
S1 is receiving voltage from the F-R switch, and depending on what position the switch is, the voltage is also applied to A1 or A2. Am I on the right track?

I am not sure the wiring diagram I have is the one for my serial number, but it is close. Once I understand the concept, I should be able to configure it on my own.
The cart is mechanically sound but electrically it is in sad shape. All existing wires have to be replaced and all the electrical parts need extensive corrosion control. Thanks again for taking the time.
NCMau is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO