lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
sprint11r0
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Locked up engine. Worth buying?

I've found a 1990 EZ-Go with a locked up engine for my dad. It's a 2-stroke so ultimately the choice of engines is limited. Are these engines worth the effort? Nothing ever ends up being as cheap as it starts out. Sounds like it was run without oil. But no real admission to that. Need a little input....We can get it for $500. Obviously I haven't tore into it yet. But looks like worst case is around $400 for a complete rebuild. Dad needs something "cheap" to use around his cabin. A set of ATV tires. some cheap blocks to lift it a little. Nothing spectacular.

DR
sprint11r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Locked up engine. Worth buying?

Dude, I'd say he!! No. Run fast, very fast. You can get a better deal on a running cart than that one. Look around!
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed! Leave it. $500 for a seized engine cart.....!? No way.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Not for a 20 year old cart. 10 year old, maybe....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you are interested, I have an older (1981) but very low hours and nice shape EZ-GO cart that runs great for $725. Needs nothing, was used to pull a domestic trash can 1/2 mile once a week from new until November 2009. It has brand new rear tyres though not ATV ( I just this week replaced the barely worn but dry rotted originals), newer clutch, belt and battery and clean non-ripped up seats. Bought it as a go-between while I got my wifes cart finished. We use it almost every day at the golf course with no problems at all. Runs on it's original oil injection, good brakes etc with only some minor flaws on the bodywork and no rust on the frame. All in all a decent, honest little cart.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
sprint11r0
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys. I've had my cart for 2 1/2 years now. But, I'm new to the forum. I've spent time reading dozens of threads. From what I've seen, I knew I would get some good, honest responses. I've seen you guys on the forum and know your reputations. Thanks for your help guys.
Doug
sprint11r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I know you already got your answer but here is another 2 cents. I got given an 85 with a locked engine. I bought the rebuild kit for $400. As you correctly state that is never the bottom line. New belts, cables, clutches, battery ad naseum. I did it and by the time I am finished I guess I will have $1500 in a cart possibly worth $1000. My rational was that a) I will end up with a new 85 that should last many years; b) I love dicking around with this stuff and it keeps me away from the TV. But if I had to add another $500 to buy it........... nah I think not. Tell these people that you will haul their trash for $100.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
bauschracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had a 87 given to me that had not ran in 3 years and had been sitting on it's side. New battery, carb., fuel pump, HEI conversion, tires, seat covers, fender extensions, steering tie-rod end, rings and crank seals and it runs well and I have about $600. invested not counting my labor. I feel that if I had to buy the cart and spend the money, I would be overboard on what it is worth.

I see that carts in this age sales for $1200-$1500 in good condition.
bauschracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO