lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
flm270
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Went from 4 12volt batteries to 6 8volt batteries

06 Clubcart XRT810. Factory was 4 12volt batteries and when that pack went out I changed to 6 8volt batteries but my drive time actually went down. Should the obc or charger be changed? After a full charge the cart only goes about 1/4th the distance it should and the batteries fall out.

Was thinking about getting rid of the powerdrive2 charger and obc and going with an onboard charger?

any ideas?

Thanks
flm270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Went from 4 12volt batteries to 6 8volt batteries

Just because they are new batteries, doesn't mean they are good. I would load test them. I have seen brand new batteries be bad right after they are installed. Sounds like you have one bad one in the bunch.
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
flm270
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My club car dealer that installed them charged them up with my charger then did a discharge. They discharged in 74 mins
Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Those new batteries must have a proper break in period! Check out " ScottyB's " site here ( http://www.cartsunlimited.net/ ) and read everything with the word " battery " in it. You will learn a lot!
By the way, your battery performance will improve after the break in period!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just so you all know 100% capacity is 100 minutes. A new pack is about 75% capacity until it 'breaks in' as a result of several charge cycles.
However the biggest factor here is something we don't know and that is the AH rating of the new batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
flm270
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So it appears I have a problem with my charging system and this is why my last set of batteries that i had for a year never worked properly and i was running out of power too soon. We discharged the new set of batteries a few times and recharged them with my powerwise2 charger and noted the voltage. It seems my charging system never gases my batteries. Since the charger is running the mechanic thinks it is the obc. So here is my question, do i spend $200-$300 on a new obc or by pass it altogether and buy a on board charger or a portable unit that does not require the obc and get a 3 stage charger? Also if I get a new charger which one?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

I installed one of these on-board chargers 2 1/2 years ago and love it..
Just an option.

http://www.delta-q.com/product/quiq-charger
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

What do you mean by discharging? If you are running that pack down to nothing prior to charging that is not recommended. If you are and knowing the charger shuts off in 16 hours, its very possible that the batteries are not ever getting fully charged. What you want to do is do a few shallow discharges and recharge to get that pack fully charged.

What kind of bats anyway.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car