lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
95Viper
Gone Wild

Default EZGO switching ignition switch

I am switching out what is likely the OEM ignition switch with one from CPP. I called and said that I had an EZGO with Honda 24hp and they recommended this one.

The original one has 4 posts. Battery, Ignition, ACC and something in the center, maybe a ground?

Unfortunately my electrical knowledge is next to nothing. My new switch is a Marine Seadog 420381. It has 6 posts. M, Battery, Magneto Circuit, Choke, Ignition circuit, Solenoid. The M in the wiring instructions does not say what it is but maybe it is a second magneto circuit?

If it matters, I installed a tach and speedometer and planned to tap into the stereo wires in the glovebox because it has easy access. I have the dash out now so have complete access to everything.

I am in Phoenix so also am willing to take it somewhere if you guys think that I shouldn't mess with this.
95Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO switching ignition switch

hi viper,
that switch will work with your gx670. i have 2 honda v-twins and have used similiar switch. The connections to your switch are listed below.

M-mag. ground(wire this terminal to a solid metal ground. When your turn switch to off position, this grounds out the magnetos.
M-Magneto, this term goes to the magenetos, usally to the common side of shorting diodes.
S- solenoid, this goes to your electric start solonoid on your starter motor.
I- ignition, this goes to your fuel cut solenoid on your carburetor
B-Batt. This goes to hot +12V,Should be fused 25A.
C-this for electric choke, probaly not needed in your gx670.

Below is a link to your switch details on seadog site.
http://assets.seattlepub.com:8020/Su...g/TechSheets/5
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
95Viper
Gone Wild

Here is my current switch. Is it as easy as moving them over?
Two top wires got to lights and stereo.
Three wires are in ignition, one in battery and one in the center.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
95Viper
Gone Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...-ignition.html
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
95Viper
Gone Wild

Sorry about the link, I can't seem to get the pic to post here with my wife's Macbook. I need to go back to my HP computer.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Are you going to ose the s/g for starting and charging? What is the function of the center wire on your existing switch? Looks like you can transfer a lot over, i just need few more details. What year cart? What wattage are your headlights?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
95Viper
Gone Wild

I really am clueless about electrical so do not have any answers on s/g, what the center wire is or what watts the lights are. I bought it like this. I am a quick learner though so can check what is needed. I will go look to see where the center wire goes.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
95Viper
Gone Wild

Center blue wire goes to starter. Connects right below to where the battery cable wire goes.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
jeffrun
Gone Wild

ok ..to transfer wires from old switch to new.

Move top 2 wires(Stereo,lights) to the "I" terminal on new switch.
Move center wire on old sw. to pin "S" on new switch.
Move bat wire on old switch to pin "B" on new switch.
Move red wire on ignition on old switch to "I" on new switch. Trace out the other end of red wire and connect it to the fuel cut solenoid wire coming from your carburetor Abandon the other 2 white wires on old switch..not needed

Of course you need to connect the mag kill wires and mag. ground to new switch in order to kill motor quick.Motor will shut off now with new switch,because fuel cut will kill motor when you turn key off shutdown will be delayed until fuel runs out of main carb jet.

Under starter motor on gx670 stamped on the block is the model number info. If you provide that we will know what amp charge system your motor has.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
95Viper
Gone Wild

This is awesome so far, thank you. I do have a couple questions though just so I understand the total picture. Of course, I have also been reading about not sending power to the magneto or I will fry it so I am going to be extra careful.

1. What is connected to my fuel cut solenoid wire now?
2. What were the 2 white wires for? To clean things up I can take time to totally pull out the wires. Any idea where the other ends go?
3. Where are the mag kill wires and ground? Or, do I need to run totally new wires?
4. My tach and speedometer wires can either be run right into the new switch or I can tap them into the connection where I connected my stereo wires. Which is better? Either is easy to get to at this point.

I just went out and looked at block. Stamped is TDW* GCAM-1050921
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!