lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
dry
Not Yet Wild

Default Need Charging Knowledge, desperatly!

Hi, i have lurked around here for awhile now, but have never really had any issues untill now. I have a 98 club car 48 volt / hi torque motor for my handicapped daughter. We just put 6 new trojan batteries in it 90 days ago it has been drove probably 10 times in the neighborhood for about 30 minutes or so a drive since the new batteries, it has always been put back on the club car charger every other outing. You can now drive it about a 1/4 of a mile it seems to get low on power and the motor starts to shudder then you can put it back on the charger and it will show 20 amps for about 5 minutes then the charger will slowly drop to 5 amps over the next 5 minutes and continue to charge at 5 amps for about another 20 minutes then the charger will shut off, if you unplug the charger and plug it back in it will charge for another 10-15 minutes and shut off..............Help would be greatly appreciated before i take it in to the shop..........it must be something simple it was doing the same thing before i replaced the batteries. anything i can by pass or test on the cart or even the charger??????

Thanking you guys in advance..............
dry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Carts Zone
Getting Wild

Default Re: Need Charging Knowledge, desperatly!

Need more info. Is it a series or regen cart? You can tell by the f&r handle. If its a push button rocker switch, its a regen , if its a handle you move a inch one way for foward and inch the other way for reverse its a series.
This is Series

This is a regen type. There are 2 different ones 1997-2001 Regen 1 controllers are Black T shaped. Regen 2 controllers are silver, with wire coming form both ends.

Club Cars also have a onboard computers that controls the charger, you can troubleshoot with a jumper wire. From last battery postive, to the small post on the soleniod that only has one wire, should be a small yellow or blue/white wire. Don't leave hooked up as a fix, only to troubleshoot charger problems. Also when speed controllers start to go bad they work for a few minutes, get hot and act up.
Carts Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

it sounds like you have a bad controller
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
dry
Not Yet Wild

It is a Series Cart........so what would cause it to charge for awhile and then shut off??
Old 03-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Carts Zone
Getting Wild

The obc is reading full charge so the charger knocks off. When the controllers act up the drain the batteries hard. Sometimes even to the point where the barrtery gauge would read half then after it cooled down the gauge would go all the way back up. The obc read the amps off the black wire that runs throught the hole in the obc.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
dry
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much for the explanation, so if i perform the temporary bypass procedure as explained above this should allow the batteries to charge to a full state and then prove what part i need to buy?

I really appreciate you guys input and explanation.........
Old 03-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Carts Zone
Getting Wild

The bypass woul let you know it the obc is bad. But since it comes on and charges anyway its sousnd like a bad speed controller. If they chager knocks off it means the battery are charged.

Next time the motor start to shudder dont plug up the charger, just wait a hour a see if it runs normal again.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
dry
Not Yet Wild

When the cart pulls down on power after about an 1/8 mile or so the battery light comes on, then starts to shudder if you limp it on back to the house and park it for about 15 minutes then you can drive off with no shudder and will only give you about 1/2 power for a couple of minutes then starts to shudder again..........I kind of thought it was building a surface charge and maybe running on that......but you guys have showed mr what i don't know............
Old 03-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
dry
Not Yet Wild

One more question? where is the speed controller located at? when i bought the cart from a dealer they said it had the hi torque motor upgrade how do i know which controller will work all i know is it is a 98 club car, series, 48 volt, will any 48 volt controller work or do i need a specific amp controller??
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Carts Zone
Getting Wild

400 amp would be ok
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car