lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
interstate
Gone Wild

Default Ball joint blues

My cc has slop near center of the steering. I have trace it down to play at the first ball joint. It looks like tightening up the nut under the ball joint would do the trick but the nut is seized to the threaded shaft. The threaded shaft simply spins freely with the nut. There are no flat spots to put a wrench on.

I did notice that pushing down on the ball assembly while turning the nut by hand will prevent the
shaft from spinning, but not when I put a wrench to the nut. Then it will spin with the nut again.
interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Spridle
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Ball joint blues

Those are tie rods sir. I would try getting something like a tie rod separator tool, or I guess a large flathead. Put it between the tie rod and the arm and apply some pressure to the tie rod. That should help with the spinning. Then replace it. Tightening will not do you any good, it's a ball and socket type joint. They wear out, it does happen. I did mine last month.
Spridle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
interstate
Gone Wild

There is at least 1/8 of an inch of clearance between the nut and the steering plate. The entire threaded shaft and ball joint rock back and forth on the steering plate. If the nut was s ugged up I believe the play would be minimized drastically. There is not exessive play in the ball assembly itself.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

It sounds like at some time the nut was left loose on tie rod end OR as its a beveled hole it maybe was not drilled correctly and now you may have to replace both the tie rod and spindle? You said first ball joint so I assume you mean the one connected to passeger side spindle? Get a new tie rod end and check and be sure that it will fit tight in beveled hole ( before nut is tightened ) and if not you will need to replace whatever its connected to.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Take an angle grinder and grind the bottom off, smooth with the bottom of the spidle and take a pickle fork and hit it a few good times with a hammer and it should come right out... Replace it with a new ball joint and you should be good to go... If there's still play in it, you'll have to replace the spindle as well... I'm guessing you're referring to the ball joint attached to the end of the steering rack... The part number is 7540, same as the driver side drag link ball joint... the passenger side drag link ball joint is a 7539
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
interstate
Gone Wild

I ordered a 7540 today. I plan to use a nut splitter on the existing nut and try to remove the ball joint assembly. I believe the hole will be fine.

Thanks for hour help guys. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
nelly1052
Getting Wild

Just put that baby in my DS this morning. I too had the loose ball joint. I was able to grab it with a channel locks and remove the nut. When you remove it, be sure to count the number of turns it takes to take it out. If it's the one coming from the steering box, its a left handed thread. My steering is like brand new after the replacement. While you have it jacked up, check the other two tie rod ends and the king pins. Somethimes you can tighten the kingpins with the nut on the top.
nelly1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
interstate
Gone Wild

New parts arrived today and the installation went well. The spindle indeed was NOT damaged. The steering is noticeably tighter and accurate. I do feel fortunate that I didn't have to replace or repair the spindle.

Thanks again for your input guys.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you were able to get by without having to replace spindle. Did you check your cart for camber and toe in while you were at the repairs? That would be a good thing to check to make your cart track at its best.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
interstate
Gone Wild

I don't know how to check those adjustments for tow and/or camber. I just put it back the way it was. Of course it may not be adjusted properly to start with.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car