lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Default The Build Begins

Alright guys, I'm getting close to starting this thing. Thanks for all the help in my other thread, I knew nothing about swapping motors in a golf cart, and now know a ton! So I decided to go the cheaper, new motor route, and after looking into the quality of them all I ordered the 420 cc Lifan on sale for $269. I also ordered the Vegas Carts cradle and some of their brackets to make stuff fit nicely. Once hunting season slows down, I'm going to rip it apart in the next few weeks and get it all in there. Hopefully, only thing left to buy is the starter bracket as I will be using my stock starter/gen. I wanted to go the Vanguard route but simply could not find a good deal and was tired of waiting.

Also, I got the V-Twin cradle just in case I end up finding a Vanguard one day, anyone know how high off the plate I need to raise the clone? They didn't want to give me a direct answer at Vegas as it was "proprietary." I get it. I'm thinking around 3"....

First pic below:

Kustrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: The Build Begins

Looks good, I know nothing..just watching.

csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

All I can tell you is I laid bars over the stock mount at rear and dropped the front with a tube and it fit just fine there. But I kept the stock mounts lot of kits take it out. I have pics scroll through and check it out: oops here it is http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...-clone-bb.html

The crank is slightly higher than stock this way, it uses the stock belt, the gen will just fit even with elec start clone. I made the gen bracket to clone that adjusts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Thanks guys, I wanted the possibility to easily swap to a Vanguard if the opportunity came up - this would make it easy. I am going to use some tubed steel or make steel spacers once I figure out how tall I need it to be. I'll get it all in there and try to make the gen bracket, it was $75 from Vegas so that could save me some money. The other brackets were cheap, like $10 each so that was an easy decision. Anything I'm missing?

Also, will I need to remove the body to do this? Doesn't seem like it, but I don't know.

Lastly, if I want to use my stock large fuel tank, can i just route the line to the inlet on the carb? I thought I remembered reading somewhere there was more to it than that.....?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its likely easier to remove the body. You need to connect the pulse line of the pump and then use the line from the stock carb to your new engine's carb.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Kustrud
Gone Wild

What's the pulse line? What's it to and where's it connect to the motor? I see which one it is coming from the pump, but where's it go and what's it do?
Old 11-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It runs the pump, it goes to either the block or under valve cover. You can also run them off the intake spacer but I had issues with that so I run out the valve cover. The piston changes the air pressure inside the engine and makes the pump diaphragm flutter and that pumps gas. Intake between carb and head will do the same. I had to put a return line in for that it had too much pulse at idle and overflowed carb, the cart pump is larger than the gokart ones normally used.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Ahh makes sense, I'll probably have a few questions as exactly how/where to mount it when I get there.

Motor and Vegas parts should be in next week!!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Alright, everything is here!

Some questions:

1. How much do I need to cut off of the crank shaft and what size do I drill and tap it? - Using stock clutch with adapter.

2. Can someone explain in detail how the pulse line from the fuel pump goes into the motor?

3. Governor - do I remove the governor from the rear end because my new motor has one?

4. Im starting tonight - so answer quick ha! Thanks for the help!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I used the factory G9 clutch for mine it uses a flange bolt 1/2 x 20. I drilled it out with a 29/64 bit. My VC adapter came with (2) 1/4" spacers the adapter is 1" and the taper inside the sheave is 1 1/4" deep. So I after eye balling and measuring 20 different ways I decided to cut the shaft 1 1/4 from the shoulder on the crank which gives me a little to play with. I haven't cut the shaft yet due to no cut off blades for my air grinder. Got to make a hardware run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151029_153747606.jpg (159.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151029_153820974.jpg (166.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151029_154451234.jpg (94.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151031_132245710.jpg (254.3 KB, 0 views)
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!