lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
Salty821
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Top speed and acceleration drops dramatically after few miles

Hello BGW!

I just bought a 2014 EZGO TXT48. The previous owner had upgraded the tires to 23" and lifted it. I think everything else is stock (controller/motor). On fresh charge top speed is about 18mph. It quickly goes down to about 12-13mph after about 1 mile. After about 3 miles it goes under 10mph. Acceleration drops dramatically and becomes almost unusable.

The batteries are 6/8v Trojans. I don't think they previous owner used it much as the tires were brand new (still had the vent spews on them).

After fresh charge, voltage is 51v. Under load, at top speed it drops to 42.7v. After a few miles, I tested again, and stopped was around 50.5v and under load it was at 42.5v.

Any ideas what it could be? I plan to upgrade the controller/solenoid/wires and possibly the motor, but want to make sure the batteries are ok first. I checked all the batteries with a load tester and they all are ok.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcart.jpg (95.4 KB, 0 views)
Salty821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Top speed and acceleration drops dramatically after few miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty821 View Post
Hello BGW!

I just bought a 2014 EZGO TXT48. The previous owner had upgraded the tires to 23" and lifted it. I think everything else is stock (controller/motor). On fresh charge top speed is about 18mph. It quickly goes down to about 12-13mph after about 1 mile. After about 3 miles it goes under 10mph. Acceleration drops dramatically and becomes almost unusable.

The batteries are 6/8v Trojans. I don't think they previous owner used it much as the tires were brand new (still had the vent spews on them).

After fresh charge, voltage is 51v. Under load, at top speed it drops to 42.7v. After a few miles, I tested again, and stopped was around 50.5v and under load it was at 42.5v.

Any ideas what it could be? I plan to upgrade the controller/solenoid/wires and possibly the motor, but want to make sure the batteries are ok first. I checked all the batteries with a load tester and they all are ok.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks.
The 23" tires are too large for the controller. The controller is overheating from too much current draw, and is cutting back to prevent it from burning out. Too many overheats and it will kill the controller! The factory controller maxes out at 250 Amps, even when reprogrammed for maximum performance. You are going to need a 400 or 500 Amp Alltrax controller in order to use those tires!

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html

Otherwise, you will need to go with tires 20.5" diameter or smaller if you intend to use the stock controller. I can reprogram it to deliver more power, but only for smaller tires. By default, it limits to under 200 Amps!

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Salty821
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob! That was one of my hunches. I will upgrade the controller/solenoid. I'm still researching which motor to get or stay with stock for now.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Bob! That was one of my hunches. I will upgrade the controller/solenoid. I'm still researching which motor to get or stay with stock for now.
The 400 Amp controller can be fitted with the optional cooling fan... With the current holiday pricing, you can get the 500 Amp controller (which includes the fan) for about $25 more... scottyb can set it to 400 Amps for you, to take it easier on the stock motor. Then if you upgrade motors you can turn it up with the free software from Alltrax.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Salty821
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My only concern is that even after leaving it overnight and trying again it is still slow in the morning. So it may *also* be batteries, but I'll start with controller and see where that takes me :)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
My only concern is that even after leaving it overnight and trying again it is still slow in the morning. So it may *also* be batteries, but I'll start with controller and see where that takes me :)
I reprogrammed a TXT48 in S FL for performance on my last trip through there. The test drive showed no improvement. A check of battery pack voltage under load showed that the batteries were severely sagging in voltage when loaded. It was time for new batteries for that cart. Voltage was pretty good at light loads so the owner probably did not know why his cart was slower than others in the neighborhood. I left it turned up so when he replaced the batteries, it would perform.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

42.7v when cruising at top speed??? That sounds ridiculously low to me.

Especially since your fully charged V is good. When I still had lead acid batts they would not hold a full charge and I don't have a float charger so I'd start my trips with 50.1 or 50.3v and when I nail the Go pedal it'd drop to 46.x V then when it got to full speed I'd see the V increasing again and it'd settle in the upper 48.x range. On bad batteries. At the end I had about 1.5 miles of usable range then it started to slow.

I have a 2011 TXT48 with 23" tires and at the time it had stock controller still/motor. Now I have a better controller and lithium batteries.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
Salty821
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
42.7v when cruising at top speed??? That sounds ridiculously low to me.

On bad batteries. At the end I had about 1.5 miles of usable range then it started to slow.
I think I will need to replace batteries and controller, just trying to figure out which goes first :)
Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Salty821
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Now I have a better controller and lithium batteries.
Do you mind sharing what Lithium setup you have? What top speed do you get now?
I'm wondering if I should make that investment?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Do you mind sharing what Lithium setup you have? What top speed do you get now?
I'm wondering if I should make that investment?
I have 7 lithium modules in my RXV with the stock controller. Top speed was 33 MPH but I cut it back to 30 MPH.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO