lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
jtb74
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1993 Gas Club Car , some quick questions.

I just bought a 1993 Gas Club Car the other day and took it out on the course for it's initial test drive.

Few Minor Issues, I'm a pretty big guy 6'2 280 lbs and I notice a lot of body lean, more so than any other gas cart I have ever rented. This cart has front and back shocks as well as rear leaf springs ( I believe ). Would this be a shock issue or a leaf spring issue or both? I noticed they make heavy duty rear leaf springs for the club car, do you think this would address body lean?

2nd Issue, The initial test drive the cart ran quite well, could pull medium sized hills and didn't miss or back fire. ( a little hard to get going at first, have to choke quite a bit ) 2nd time i took it out it was running a little rough, even harder to start and while going full speed it would miss a little bit and was kinda sluggish. When trying to climb a hill on the course the cart came to a complete stop, i let it roll backwards a little bit and gave it gas and it was able to SLOWLY climb the hill.

I took it home and looked inside, i noticed the air box was not sealed properly, took it all apart cleaned it all up and resealed it , I also could smell a strong smell of gasoline, some of the fuel lines are old and in bad shape so i replaced them , it still leaks around the carb gasket so i will need to order one of them.

I think the air box addressed my poor starting problem, i took it out in the yard and it seemed to run alot better. Not sure if that is why i couldn't climb the steeper hills at the course though. Havn't been able to take it out to the course since i worked on the air box.

Question? should i buy the complete carburetor kit http://www.lvssales.com/store/produc...&cat=40&page=1

Or should I just replace the leaking gasket? I have never rebuilt a carb and I am not a very good mechanic, is it a big job?

Next Question?

I read no no no's Thread on Best Performance Modifications

I would love to be able to send all those parts off to get machined but I don't have the budget for it ( student/part time worker )

Could I Install timing key http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-ca...vance-key.html

The Jet kit http://www.cartpartsplus.com/carb-je...b-car-ohv.html

The K&N Intake http://www.cartpartsplus.com/universal-k-n-filter.html

High Volume Fuel Pump http://www.cartpartsplus.com/high-volume-fuel-pump.html

Or are they dependent on the other upgrades he mentioned in order to do any good?

Is the high volume fuel pump worthless if you don't send off all the other parts?

I just want the cart to be able to pull me and a friend up the hills on the golf course, Not really looking for top speed although if I could get both I wouldn't complain.

Does the K&N filter intake completely remove the stock air box? Do i need a bracket for it to sit in? Does it still work with the stock choke?

What would you guys recommend? whats the best thing I can do for under 200 bucks?

Thanks for your help , sorry for the long post. Thought the more info the better.

James
jtb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
johnscram
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1993 Gas Club Car , some quick questions.

well that sounds like a problem i had awhile ago does it bog and go ohhh up the hill and try moving the fuel pump higher or clean it out i would consider getting the high volume and that intake eliminates the choke but i have no problem starting it cold without it and it bolts right on no brackets needed
johnscram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
jtb74
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Johnscram,

Thanks for your reply , I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the carb rebuild kit, jet kit , timing key , k&N intake and the high volume fuel pump.

Replace all my fluids and filters and see how it runs.

Is the timing key difficult to replace? thats the only one i'm a little concerned about.

I'm planning on placing an order tomorrow so if anyone has any additional recommendations please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

james
Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think for someone with out a lot of mechanic experience the best bet is a re machined clutch with 200rpm spring. Give Tom a call at Dixie. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php A carb rebuild is not something I recomend for a first project. Although it does sound like the float is sticking...Buy a new one. Stock air cleaner is fine with a new filter. Same with the fuel pump. Put a new plug in it. New air cleaner element.
Have the clutches machined for your budget. Go for a little govenor adjustment...Good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
whitetail436
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i have to agree with scotty b. for the novice it would be best to send off the clutches and have the springs put in. when machining the rear clutch and putting the power spring in you gain alot of torque for hill climbing. the front clutch machining will give you some extra top end. best bang for the buck and tom does the work
whitetail436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
jtb74
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies,

I think you guys convinced me to go the machining route with rpm spring.

Do I need to buy the clutch puller to remove the clutch or is it doable without? if so what tools do I need to take it out.

I'm going to go ahead and order the carb rebuild kit , jet , k&N Filter , High Volume fuel pump. My brother has worked on motorcycle engines in the past and can help me with the carburetor. I figure I might aswell rebuild it since i need to clean it out anyway ( who knows how dirty it is ) . That may turn out to be a poor decision but will have to wait and see.

I ordered the heavy duty rear leaf springs a few minutes ago, that will hopefully help the sagging in the rear.

If anyone has a good source for a 1993 club car manual please let me know , cheapest I've found so far has been 90 bucks , thats tough to do.

Thanks for your help.

james
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car