lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
rtbock
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car precedent taillight issue

I have a 2008 club car precedent. The passenger side taillight has an intermittent issue. All other lights, horn, etc have no issue. The light will be working fine when I turn it off, then not work when I turn it on. I have done some troubleshooting and find that when it is not working it will suddenly come on when I cycle the right and left turn signals, headlights, and hazard lights. I have chased down all wires and connections and found no obvious problems. I am thinking there must be a relay or switch that may need to be replaced. I believe I have what is called an Ultimate Light Kit. Does anyone have any suggestions?
rtbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club car precedent taillight issue

the only real relay in the thing is the flasher canister. I would suspect wiring. It has molnex plugs so be sure they are seated correctly or that there are no loose wires in the connector.
Dhenryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
rtbock
Not Yet Wild

Can you tell me where the plug is that I should Check? I have pretty much checked every connection from where the light plugs into the harness forward and all seem to be in good shape. Also where is the flasher cannister to which you Refer?

As a follow up to original post I went out to cart and light worked. I did not move the cart at all. I went away for 2 hours when I returned it did not work. I cycled the turn signals, hazard lights, and headlights a few times and it started to work. It seems that the issue is in the turn signal unit that contains the turn signal switch and the hazard lights.

Thanks for the help I will continue to focus on wiring.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It is possible that the problem is in your turn signal switch itself. The same bulb is both the brake light and turn signal. The switching is in the turn signal switch.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I am following this, I know of two precedent carts that the brake lights are flakey on. Sometimes they work good other times they are real dim, carts belong to friends and they really don't care they are not working right, I would just like to know in case mine do that.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Ddave
Not Yet Wild

MrGolf - any resolution on your friend's dim tail light issue? I have a 2006 Precedent that the rear taillights stay on dim all the time.
Ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddave View Post
MrGolf - any resolution on your friend's dim tail light issue? I have a 2006 Precedent that the rear taillights stay on dim all the time.
No, he sold the cart last year with 6 year old 12 volt battery set up. Cart was spotless decked out. He got 3000.00 for it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
rtbock
Not Yet Wild

The turn signal switch makes sense because when the light is out cycling the turn signal usually eventually fixes the problem temporarily. I took the turn signal switch apart and it has all soldered connections and all seemed to be solid. Is there a way to isolate the switch to tell if it is the Issue? I am also curious why the turn signal switch would impact the running taillight?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Club car precedent taillight issue

I would start by jumpering a ground wire from your voltage reducer to the light fixture where you are having the problem and see if that changes anything...if you are NOT using a voltage reducer than try a new ground from the negative post of the battery you using for power and bypass the exsisting wire to see if you cause a change in the problem.😎
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I had a similar problem on my 68 mustang many years ago. I wasn't smart enough back then to figure it out my self so I took it to an electrical place. After trying a bunch of bulbs (I told the guy the bulbs were fine) he gave up. I took it to a mechanic friend and he knew right away that it was the turn signal switch. The signal worked but the brake light did not. Same filament so if it works for one and not the other, it is not the ground.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car