lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
jhy6msu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 or Newer?

Hey everybody...new to the site and golf carts altogether. I bought a Yamaha G1 a few months ago and have fixed it up since. It was mechanically sound when I got it so I`ve just done cosmetic stuff...I don`t know if I should keep it or sell it and buy a newer model cart. What do you guys think?
jhy6msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
gscalifornia
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 or Newer?

That depends on what you want out of it, and why you bought a golf cart in the first place.

If it runs good and you have the ability to make it look good without spending a ton of money why change? It's like most things in life, the more money you have to spend the nicer the things you can have!

I too bought my first cart this year, an '84 G1, and for the $500 I have into it it's a great cart. Granted, I don't want a lift kit, big tires and chrome rims, fancy paint, etc. I just wanted a cart to haul me and buddies around for one week a year at an NHRA race we attend and my G1 will do that just fine!
gscalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
jhy6msu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I spent $700 on mine and have about $900 in it now from body parts I`ve replaced...I am not interested in a lift, tires, rims, or any of that really. I bought it to take tailgating at Mississippi State football games. I can make it look good, but its not great by any means. Do you know if you can mount a newer front cowl on it without doing any fab work?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
gscalifornia
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I haven't looked into changing the body, but I'd guess you'll end up fabbing brackets at a minimum if you want to change the front cowl.

What about trading up to a newer cart now that you have yours running and looking better?
gscalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
jhy6msu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

That was my original question...should I sell this one and get a newer one because I like the newer body styles more, or is this cart just a really reliable cart and I should hang on to it and fab some newer stuff on it?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It really depends on what market you have there and what you want to do with the cart. Some places a G1 is worth near what another newer cart is, so you might as well sell it and get a newer one for similar money. IMO they are not worth as much because they are so old. They are noisy and stinky, and ride a little harder than newer carts. While these things are not such a problem for trail riding/etc uses they are not ideal anymore for golf use in most people's eyes. The larger problem is most are clapped out and need a lot of parts to get beck to good running condition, you are less likely to have that issue with a newer cart. Odd things like suspension parts will be worn out, wiring, etc. I'd love to have a G1 but I will not pay what they want here. I have seen a few nice ones, but they are still not worth what they want to me. That said they are very durable, I jumped one with another once and I'm not sure if that was my longest jump, lol, some fun days back then. Far as parts you can get a whole lot more lifts and such for newer carts, you can get most any wear parts and used parts for G1 as it was by far the most popular cart for a long time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
jhy6msu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks sho...I have noticed G1s not in as good condition as mine for $1200 plus. So, that`s my dilemma. I can`t figure out what to do. I LOVE the G1, but I would like a newer cart for reasons like you said...more you can do with them, not so loud, etc. I`ve got some thinking to do!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Focus on what you want, if you need the looks and quieter/etc then start shopping and sell that one all polished up. Or you can have two carts lol. You can make brackets and mod bodies to them there is a guy on here with two Drives that are actually older carts under the body, if its worth the hassle to you. If me I would look for a G14 or newer right now. If I found a G1 cheap enough I'd buy it for fun but for a serious cart I would not. I mean if you have a tiny budget you buy what you can afford of course, just saying. Yes here the price for a G1 is near the same as G9 and not much less than newer, its a joke. I could have bought a 4 yr old yamaha for 3200 a few years back at an auction, and 5yr old same model with a new jakes/wheels/22 tires/new paint for 3800 and both had roofs and were in very good condition. Why pay 1200 for a G1 that is 20 yr older? 5X the age....not even counting the parts you need to put into the G1. This was actually maybe 2008 it was before the economic crash.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha