lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
toddzzz
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging issue...

First, many thanks to:
Rabbit...
Lost...
Courtesy....
and others. Your prompt responses to all of us "less experienced" are not only accurate, they are inspirational (at least for me). Thanks for all you do.

I have an 09' (not the Freedom version) RXV which I am upgrading using my own ideas and parts. These upgrades include having added a stereo, two dome lights, one up and one near the floor of the cart, a dual trumpet air horn (a bit of an overkill but fun), lights and some other small things.

All told, it's coming together incredibly well. I'm running all of these accessories off an independent 12 volt car battery which is charged up using a 15" x 15" photovoltaic solar panel which provides more than adequate charging capacity.

Here's my question / issue...

I'm handy as hell, but have always avoided issues involving electricity as it scares the crap out of me (when shocked, I grab - not good).

What I'd like to do is add three more panels and use the Southern California sun to charge the main batteries. My question is...If I do so, and connect the panels directly to the batteries or some other part of the charging system, will it blow out the panels?

The reason I ask this is simple...one needs to add a voltage reducer to run accessories (drain) off the main batteries, it would only seem logical that the reverse (charge) would need some type of method to increase the voltage to avoid damaging the panels....

I'm certain I'm not wording this properly, I hope somebody understands what I'm getting at...any input would be greatly appreciated. (how can i charge the main batteries using solar panels designed to charge a single 12 volt battery)?

thanks...
toddzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charging issue...

I would think you would need one per battery. I have not looked into the solor charging systems yet. I keep seeing pics of them, but never read into them. I think it is a good idea.

I have also been told that when solor panels are not in charge mode (like at night) they will discharge the batteries. I have not confirmed this. If this is the case you would need to install a diode in the wire of the panel to prevent it from back feeding.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

The solar panels will only charge the batteries, not suck them dry. However, you will not be able to fully charge your batteries with sola panels on the roof of the cart, plan and simple, there isnt enough room, nor do the panels produce enough amps. The best they can do is maintain the batteries, but no where near where they need to be voltage wise..
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Do some math. I don't know the wattage of your panels but I'd bet it isn't near enough to charge the pack.

In any case, you'll need a charge controller along with the panels.

Sorry, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, it's just that heretofore the math doesn't work for a GC application.......yet. Maybe some day as PV technology is coming along quickly in lock step with battery technology.

Also, there are some commercial applications out there already offering a solar panel GC roof. Their claims are closer to marketing than fact IMO. Do a search on this site. Solar charging has been discussed here in several threads over the years. At the end of the day it probably won't hurt but what does it deliver for the $$$?

Just my unsolicited $.02. Good luck!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post

Do some math. I don't know the wattage of your panels but I'd bet it isn't near enough to charge the pack.

In any case, you'll need a charge controller along with the panels.

Sorry, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, it's just that heretofore the math doesn't work for a GC application.......yet. Maybe some day as PV technology is coming along quickly in lock step with battery technology.

Also, there are some commercial applications out there already offering a solar panel GC roof. Their claims are closer to marketing than fact IMO. Do a search on this site. Solar charging has been discussed here in several threads over the years. At the end of the day it probably won't hurt but what does it deliver for the $$$?

Just my unsolicited $.02. Good luck!
true... but it won't work for other reasons too. Assuming you have a 36v cart and are using three 12v chargers, you would have to physically divide the batteries into 3-2 battery packs to charge each battery "pack" individually. Works in theory if you're trying to get a trickle charge and have formulated some sort of quick disconnect system to separate the three packs. ALSO, I don't think that those little 12v battery chargers will be hoss enough to charge them. A good person to ask would be arcitech. He's a smairly fart guy with DC power. He's a Sub nerd! Tell him I said so. I'm sure that it would EVENTUALLY charge the pack but the best idea would be several alternators connected to some sort of axle gear. and yes you can get a GC battery pack charger. they're pretty pricey though.

Last edited by ohwhofarted; 09-23-2010 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: thought if something new
ohwhofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
toddzzz
Not Yet Wild

all good stuff. thank you for the info.
toddzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I also wonder about the solar charger
sending voltage into the system would
fool the cart charger into shutting off
too soon???
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwhofarted View Post
true... but it won't work for other reasons too. Assuming you have a 36v cart and are using three 12v chargers, you would have to physically divide the batteries into 3-2 battery packs to charge each battery "pack" individually. Works in theory if you're trying to get a trickle charge and have formulated some sort of quick disconnect system to separate the three packs. ALSO, I don't think that those little 12v battery chargers will be hoss enough to charge them. A good person to ask would be arcitech. He's a smairly fart guy with DC power. He's a Sub nerd! Tell him I said so. I'm sure that it would EVENTUALLY charge the pack but the best idea would be several alternators connected to some sort of axle gear. and yes you can get a GC battery pack charger. they're pretty pricey though.
Maybe I am misunderstanding (happens often ) but I don't believe this is accurate. Since it is possible to charge two 6v batteries with a 12v charger WHILE all six are interconnected in series provided you connect each charger to two adjacent connected batteries. Each charger would then only see 12v.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
aircat
Not Yet Wild

Just put 3 12v panels in series, as far as charging the pack it would depend on cart use, panel watt or amp output, and the hours of sun.

Aircat
aircat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The RXV runs 4 12 volt batteries. Assuming you are planning to retain the independant 12v battery for accessories, you would need a total of 5 panels each wired to an individual battery. Thay WILL charge the batteries, but the length of time required is more than you want to let the cart sit still for. They will however allow you to extend the range of the car beyond the 40 mile range advertised by E-Z-GO. So far I have only seen 1 RXV in the Villages running the panels and the range was tested at 65 miles based on 5 independant tests done over the course of a week. The cars that I have seen wired up used diodes on the wire harness for each panel to prevent backfeed to the panel (I don't know that this is required, but I would consider it a smart idea).

Hope the info helps.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO