lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
CampMaster
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default purpose of "latching switch?" solenoid cuts out when it engages.

Hi! I've been lurking/reading these answers for several years but now I'm stuck and need help.

I have a 1989 Cushman Titan, 36v cart. When pressing the pedal down partway the "start" (N/C) micro switch going to the left small terminal, engages the solenoid (18v at the small terminals). A little further down and the "latching" (N/O) micro switch going to the right small terminal, engages (and it goes to 0v at the small terminals) and the solenoid disengages. Motor never moves. this is a new problem.

So my questions are:
- What does the "latching" switch do? It seems designed to open the solenoid circuit once the pedal is 1/4 down, which is counter intuitive to me. (the right terminal does have a second small wire with a resister that goes to the S1 terminal on the motor).
- Since the solenoid cut out when the "latching" engages does it mean its bad
or do I have a problem with the wiring? the cart ran previously but is pretty beat up.

thanks for any help!
CampMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #2
CampMaster
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Re: purpose of "latching switch?" solenoid cuts out when it engages.

Ok, I've sorted out the "latching circuit"!
It seems to be an early safety feature. As the pedal is depressed it engages the solenoid, then it disengages the solenoid ground, cutting power to the solenoid. If the F/R switch is already engaged it completes the ground from motor S1 or S2 (using a diode to control polarity) and all is good. If the pedal is pressed before the key is turned the ground is broken before power is applied.
So the solenoid releases if
1) not in forward or reverse
2) if pedal already pressed before key is turned on.

kludgey but it works. But ****, not explained in my Cushman manual!
CampMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushman titan, solenoid, start/latch switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car