lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #21
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 4 Link / 3 Link Rear Suspensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Angling the shock reduces their ability to carry weight or absorb vertical load. I hope I'm saying that right. Tilting them in board at the top (I think) makes for more stability. In the end I decided upon a panhard bar to eliminate any sideways movement I perceived. It works awesome off the road with the 25x10x10 dirt devils. You run across a field drinking from an open cup.
Ok this is the kind of performance I would want from a rear suspension. So is yours a 3 link with a panhard bar? You would have rather mounted the shocks straight up, or with less angle?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #22
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
So did this accomplish your goals? Hows the ride? Articulation?
So far so good I'm really happy with it.

I have about 3-4" of upwards movement and 4" or a little more of downward movement before the shocks bind. I could always rotate my shocks 90° if I wanted more travel but I think I'd have to crank up the preload to compensate for body roll.

I've been able to traverse plowed fields and all my normal off road conditions at twice the speed as when I had leaf springs without bouncing all over the seat. Then I can turn around and run on the road with no problems. Plus, my wife even mentioned how much smoother the ride was and she couldn't care less about the carts ride quality because she stays on the pavement when she's running around on it.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #23
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Angling the shock reduces their ability to carry weight or absorb vertical load. I hope I'm saying that right. Tilting them in board at the top (I think) makes for more stability. In the end I decided upon a panhard bar to eliminate any sideways movement I perceived. It works awesome off the road with the 25x10x10 dirt devils. You run across a field drinking from an open cup.
Angling the springs (coilover shocks in this case) increases the leverage the axle/wheel has over the spring rate. With a straight axle tilting the springs inboard a little adds stability but too much angle does the reverse.

Angling the springs forward effectively reduces the spring rate. The greater angle from vertical the greater the effect.

When off-road motorcycle engineers started experimenting with long travel suspension in the late 70's by angling coilover shocks forward they had to increase spring rates to compensate. The mechanical leverage from angling the shocks permitted longer wheel travel from the same length shock but damping rates and spring rates had to be increased.

The pic is an example.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #24
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Rooster is right with the "more tilt of shocks = need stiffer springs to compensate" statement. In the early 70's when we welded forward mounts on dirt bikes the extra travel was great......but if done with the "standard" coil-overs the ride was bottom out brutal.

I haven't seen anyone post about "if" a rear sway bar in anyway helps reduce the body roll? I thought that was the purpose of the sway bar?

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #25
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Rooster and Dave, I agree and also know from racing atv's that the coil over angled forward on a swing arm setup increases leverage. Likewise on a double wishbone front suspension, angling inward increases leverage.

But I still am trying to figure out if tilting the shocks inward toward the centerline of the axle increases leverage as well? I see how it helps keep the axle centered, but sway? I'm not understanding this part. Need more info.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:36 AM   #26
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sway reduction from inward tilt is something I don't have personal experience with. I was told that by some dirt track racers. The claim was made for solid rear axle suspensions. I took their word for it but am not completely convinced. Something about the roll pivot axis being slightly more effected by a small amount of tilt toward the axis versus perfectly vertical. But dirt track racers can drink a little beer....
Old 06-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #27
DaveTM
Gone Wild

This "kid" in this video 'splains the Anti-roll bar.....but maybe this is only applicable when you have independent suspensions on the L\R? I dunno if this anti-roll would work on a straight axle....AKA, the cart rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_liGnV3PTiQ
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:04 AM   #28
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Doesn't matter what type of suspension. My '78 Trans Am had front and rear sway bars and most every F350 has had for years if it is equipped with the trailering/camper pkg. My wife's Jeep Liberty has them front and rear.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #29
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I agree, sway bars work on solid axles, absolutely. They also limit articulation and travel. It's kind of a double edged sword. You either want articulation or you want good cornering. This is why they make quick disconnect sway bars for rock crawlers, because they are almost not able to drive on the road without one. I also know they make sway bars that are tunable, and allow you to dial in the amount of control you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sway bar links 1.jpg (29.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sway bar links 2.JPG (216.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sway bar 1.jpg (29.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sway bar 2.jpg (161.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #30
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I was studying the suspension on my FJ Cruiser over the weekend. This suspension is stock, and for a stock vehicle it is really pretty well done for off road use. It does have a front and rear sway bar, but if you remove the sway bar, the articulation on these suspensions is pretty impressive.

Now I understand that Toyota has to make this vehicle road worthy, reliable, and also quiet and comfortable. They chose to use rubber link ends, as any mfg would for a road vehicle. All of the aftermarket suspension systems come with heim joints. I'm assuming this is to gain even more articulation?

My question: Why use rubber over heims? Why use heims over rubber?

The photo on the left is all stock. On the right is a modified suspension. Just an example of how well this stock 4 link suspension works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fj cruiser articulation.jpg (665.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts