lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #101
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: 4 Link / 3 Link Rear Suspensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The anti sway bar is designed to keep the axle and body parallel with each other, so on a side hill it would work against you. The main reason you would want a anti sway bar is for better more stable cornering. It would not help you on a hill.
So, what would "help" under this type of circumstance? Other than perhaps a computer controlled leveling air-shock type of system that likely would be way outta my price range!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #102
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
So, what would "help" under this type of circumstance? Other than perhaps a computer controlled leveling air-shock type of system that likely would be way outta my price range!!
Dave, are you talking about needing to stay more level on a side hill? Yeah there isn't anything you can do with the suspension that will correct the hill angle and the lean you get in the suspension.

One thing you can do to make your cart more stable on side hills is to make it wider. You can install wheel spacers and offset wheels to gain extra width. That will make it more stable.

One thought, if you had a nice 3 link rear suspension that had some good articulation, you could pull your downhill front wheel up onto a large rock. That will allow the 3 link rear suspension to articulate and level out the whole cart. Of course, this only works while sitting still.

Here's a pic of a jeep doing the same kind of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeepsidehill.jpg (211.0 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #103
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LCG (low center of gravity) is what helps on a hill. There is nothing that will help your cart stay level when driving sideways on a hill.

HOWEVER, a antisway bar will help on a hill and when the suspension is articulating, it will keep the body from leaning un-controlably. Antisway bar is to help with "body roll".

Use this video for example- it is my old rock crawler that I built several years ago, this video was when I was building it. Watch how it leans every time it turns. It's because it was a 4 link setup front and rear with no sway bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iWxEUKcgeo

Then watch this video (skip to the 2 min mark to skip all the shaky vid) and see how the jeep doesn't have the body roll anymore. It's because I added a Currie antirock sway bar to the rear of the jeep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UrlRvYV2WQ

So to answer your question, if your wanting a system that keeps your vehicle's body level when driving on the side of a hill you would have to put your golf cart's body on a skytrack, but if you want it where it doesn't lean un-controllably when driving or climbing then a anti sway bar can help.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #104
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Awesome videos Rusty!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #105
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My cart has the Jakes LT on the front which is wider than factory. I also am running 1" spacers on the back.

It's not that I'm going places where I'm teetering on roll over.....but just curious about if something could be done.

Thanks!!
Old 08-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #106
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
My cart has the Jakes LT on the front which is wider than factory. I also am running 1" spacers on the back.

It's not that I'm going places where I'm teetering on roll over.....but just curious about if something could be done.

Thanks!!
Gotcha. Well like Rusty said, the sway bar will help body lean/roll, but it won't really help you stay level on a side hill. I thought maybe you wanted to park the cart on a hill to sit and hunt coyote or something lol.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #107
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Gotcha. Well like Rusty said, the sway bar will help body lean/roll, but it won't really help you stay level on a side hill. I thought maybe you wanted to park the cart on a hill to sit and hunt coyote or something lol.
Well....actually I park the cart to face either down hill or up hill when I'm "hanging out" in the cart. (I have a shoot-from-a-vehicle permit....I'm legal) Side hill "sitting" reeks havoc on the lower back!!

A few years back I was traveling around a hillside on a farm path with brush on both sides. Suddenly a big doe bolted from my right to my left and I swear her hide brushed the front bumper!! My only thought was that if she had "crashed" into the side of the cart......me, doe, and cart would have done at least one roll down the hill!!

Doubtful even a sway bar would have helped under those circumstances.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #108
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Well....actually I park the cart to face either down hill or up hill when I'm "hanging out" in the cart. (I have a shoot-from-a-vehicle permit....I'm legal) Side hill "sitting" reeks havoc on the lower back!!

A few years back I was traveling around a hillside on a farm path with brush on both sides. Suddenly a big doe bolted from my right to my left and I swear her hide brushed the front bumper!! My only thought was that if she had "crashed" into the side of the cart......me, doe, and cart would have done at least one roll down the hill!!

4 corner air ride would fix you right up Dave!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #109
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
4 corner air ride would fix you right up Dave!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm thinking this air ride idea would pair nicely with the 3 link rear setup and long travel front suspension. I'll have to do some research.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #110
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Like Jkerle said, air ride with independent controls would be your best bet for leveling it up on the side of a hill.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts