lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
goldwinger
Gone Wild

Default 12 volt wiring

I am going to wire in 3 12 volt batterys so I can test the motor.i want to do this before I buy 6 6 volt batterys. so someone tell me how to wire up 3 12 volts batterys on my 1980 marathon
goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default Re: 12 volt wiring

Goldwinger,

It's kind of simple - you want to wire the batteries in series. I whipped up a little image:

First battery negative to second battery positive.
Second battery negative to third battery positive.

Full pack positive is first battery positive, full pack negative is third battery negative.

You may want to review your knowledge of DC circuits before you try this - you can cause big explosions connecting multiple batteries incorrectly. Batteries in series is about the simplest DC circuit possible.

If you're going to be working on an electric cart, you should buy an inexpensive meter if you don't already own one. You can pick one up at just about any big box store like Lowes or Home Depot for around $10-$15. Most of the ones in that price range will measure AC voltage, DC voltage, ohms (resistance), and up to about 10 amps. Some will also have a temperature sensor and can measure that, too (usually for a little more money).

Fully charged 12V batteries will read about 12.8V on a DC voltmeter, so 3 fully charged 12V batteries from "pack negative" to "pack positive" should read about 38.4V.

Be careful,

RLW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-12v-series.jpg (51.7 KB, 0 views)
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If all you are testing is whether or not the motor spins, one battery is sufficient. It won't spin fast. But that can be a good thing. While it is spinning slowly, you can listen for any "unique" sounds and check for wobble in the entire transaxle.
Just jack the cart up and set the rear section on a good pair of jack stands. With the rear wheels off the ground, you should be ready to run your test.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Denny/Chloe,

Good point about jackstands, but I thought he wanted to get 36V into the thing just to see if it ran. Plus, a single 12V might not be enough to actuate the solenoid.

RLW
Old 10-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not arguing or trying to correct you RWL. I'm just speaking directly to his post. He said he is going to test the motor.
Most contactors, (solenoids) are designed to operate on an "up to" rating. Meaning they are designed to operate within a range of voltages. 12 volts should be enough to close the contacts and drive the motor.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
crash test dummy

do not spin motor on 36v

motor test
Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
Not arguing or trying to correct you RWL.
Chloe,

I didn't take it that way - in a different thread it seemed like he was trying to run the cart on 3-12V batteries.

I thought you were giving him good advice and a good alternative to test the thing.

Another reason for Goldwinger to keep all his posts regarding this cart in a single thread.

RLW
Old 10-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
do not spin motor on 36v

motor test
CTD,

GREAT GRAPHIC!

One suggested addition:

BIG RED WARNING that you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery. Maybe even use just one cable from battery negative and tap it on the A1 post of the motor.

OR...

Use a set of car jumper cables - black clip on battery negative, red clip on motor A1 post, tap the other ends together while standing as far away as possible!

That was just a suggestion - it still is a very good graphic. I just worry that some of the folks who are new to electric carts and golf cart batteries aren't aware of the explosive power of high current circuits.

RLW
Old 10-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Jumper cables work just fine for me. I think it's the safest way to do it while to motor is still in the cart.
Hook the cables to the motor. Then the positive post then the negative post.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw View Post
CTD,

GREAT GRAPHIC!

One suggested addition:

BIG RED WARNING that you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery. Maybe even use just one cable from battery negative and tap it on the A1 post of the motor.

OR...

Use a set of car jumper cables - black clip on battery negative, red clip on motor A1 post, tap the other ends together while standing as far away as possible!

That was just a suggestion - it still is a very good graphic. I just worry that some of the folks who are new to electric carts and golf cart batteries aren't aware of the explosive power of high current circuits.

RLW
it has been suggested that i add in a cut-off switch to turn on motor ...
this was agreed on by a bunch of the guys over a week of discussion
striking the cable on the A-1 terminal will cause scaring of the terminal
the warning of explosive battery is a good add

WARNING you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery.

jumper cables may be used as follows
black clip on battery negative,
red clip on motor A1 post, tap the other ends together
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO