lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default New project?

I have an old Yamaha G-8 and would like to make the atv / motorcycle conversion. For a newbie at this kind what is the least expensive way to go about it? Do I look for an old motorcycle or atv? Which kind are best? Adequate horsepower? I have a ton of questions about the drive train also. Any suggestions for a basic one?
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
dragos28
Gone Wild

Default Re: New project?

first thing first... spend several hours reading through all the build threads.

Then check on your local craigslist for a wrecked atv or motorcycle.. or if someone is selling just the engine.

I almost picked up a 1700cc suzuki motorcycle engine... but i thought that would be OVERKILL...

i guess it all depends on how much you want to invest and how much you know about engines.... i went the simple route and picked up a vanguard 16hp..
most atv and motorcycle engines are a bit more complex but would offer you much more hp..
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Ill start reading soon!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Chaz, A G8 eh? Sweet!! You'll be the first to chop up a G8 on BGW, that I know of!! Is the G8 a gas or electric? If its gas, and you keep the G8 rear axle, you'll have the widest track of all the golf carts.

After already doing a motorcycle engine in a golf cart myself, and now I am working on a Polaris engine that runs from belt instead of chain, I would go the ATV route with a belt. Just my two cents.
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The conversion I have now is only a 200cc and it moved the cart pretty well, topped out around 35mph. I'm in the process of lifting it and putting 25" tires on it so I will see how the engine performs once it's done. As someone else advised, read up on all the conversion builds whether they were completed or not...even the incomplete ones will teach you what mistakes not to make. Good luck.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I can see it would be easier to stay with the belt drive. Here is what I am thinking though. I dont like pulling anything with a belt drive. Even snowmobiles when towing a dead soldier ruins the belts in a short period of time. Seems anything semi heavy burns the belts. I was thinking more of a direct drive such as a motorcyle or ATV with a clutch may be stronger. Even my minimal skills can see this would be much more work though. My G-8 is gas. Ill read more and unfortunately for you , you may be getting a lot of my questions!!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's a thread on here about a guy using a 125cc motorcycle engine. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably look for a 200 or 250cc myself and then there are a lot of people on here who would tell you to look for bigger. You can see PBJ kicking up dust with 200cc.

I really like the idea of a motorcycle engine with the chain drive. If I ever build another cart I will go with a motorcycle engine/tranny and chain. (that also assumes I finish my current cart at some point...) I had a 125cc motorcross bike when I was younger with 6 speeds. In 4th it'd do 55...

Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps