lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Seaville
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 450 twin in elec CC DS

Just started my build. Putting a 450 Hondamatic in an old elec CC DS. Engine went in fine once I lifted cart 8". Using jackshaft to get to rear end. Got rear out of bone yard and not sure it isn't wore out. When I stomp on it hard I get a wrapping/popping sound from drive...think it's the rear. Checked alignment of chain and sprockets...seems ok. Anybody have any experience with the CC rears. I don't even know how to determine series/year. Also any info on what to look for if/when I pull it down would be nice. Included some pics of project so far once I get everything working like I want, I'll tear it down for paint and polish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine 2.jpg (104.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P9070002.jpg (110.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P9070004.JPG (109.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P9070005.JPG (103.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P9070011.JPG (115.0 KB, 0 views)
Seaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
EZGO 89 RED
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 450 twin in elec CC DS

Looks good.
Is the motor called a hondamatic because there is no manual hand clutch?
EZGO 89 RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Seaville
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Correct. Just twist the throttle and go. Made it nice not havimg to set up a clutch system on cart.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Seavill

I have the same rear in my cart. It too was a donated CC from a gasser. I am having the same issue with the popping but only when I put it in reverse and give it hard gas. slow starts in reverse doesn't do it. When I changed the gear ratio by changing the sprockets on my jackshaft, it started doing it in forward. Changed the sprockets back and forward noise is gone but reverse still there. All that said, makes me think it is a ratio problem since the reverse is geared different than the forward.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Seaville
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

You may be right. I blocked mine up and took a good look with break set while giving it some throttle. Looked like the chain on the small sprocket was getting loose (bunching up) on the slack side of the sprocket and getting a bit misaligned when it took up. I think this was happening under hard acceleration. To test that I tightned the chain (too tight) and it got much better. All that said I took a speed msmt on cart and backed out the input shaft RMP, realized I was spinning it over 6k RPM at full throttle. Figured that was way too fast for the thing to hold up over time so I've changed direction. Just ordered parts to convert it to a live axle and plan to rig a starter motor to get reverse. Way simpler than using a jackshaft and I hope more reliable.....faster too. Now I need to find a gear that will work with a starter bendix gear...oughta be fun....BTW....know anybody that wants a CC rear?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How are you cooling the engine? It looks like it has very limited airflow.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
Seaville
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thinking is to put a fan behind the engine & pull air across the heads/cyl. Expect I will also use coil stock to make a shroud dividing engine compartment from two side bays. Also thinking I'll wrap the header pipes.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaville View Post
BTW....know anybody that wants a CC rear?
Post it in the parts section...They are a hot item and should sell quickly. Where are you located?
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Seaville
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sounds like a plan. I have a gas and electric w/motor. Located in eastern VA Hour south of DC and 1/2 hr east of Fredericksburg
Old 09-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So did you use a motor & trans from a bike or ATV? Looks like they made that trans for both. The bikes you have to shift, but no clutch. The ATVs you just hit the throttle like a CVT. Seems like the first one would be great for hill climbing, engine braking going down hills, etc.
Great idea either way. Bullet proof setup. And gears to get some speed!
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hondamatic, rear issue
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps