lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #61
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Default Re: Newest Leaf Modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccainc View Post
It’s the OB4825. Although on the invoice it says OBES4825 which may have to do with the customization. Ray is who I’ve dealt with for any questions as well as the initial order. I do remember him being slightly gruff on the phone the first time until I was able to tell him exactly what I needed. I think they get a lot of calls from people who say “I need a charger for a lithium golf cart battery” and don’t know anything else- voltages, etc. when I told him exactly what I needed he started to work with me. What they really need is your requested cut-off voltage and the the fact that it’s lithium, which they have a profile for. Ray also gave me the procedure for adjusting down the voltage on the charger when I was still considering changing to LiFePo via an onboard pot. It’s a shame that he’s saying they can’t do anything for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was very clear in exactly what I was looking for including cut off voltage. He said he could do a 42V unit that would only charge to ~53V and their 48V would go to 58.8V which is too high IMO.

He said since their chargers are dum transformer based chargers, there is no option to adjust voltage.

Quote:
On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 4:44 PM Quick Charge Corp. <info@quickcharge.com> wrote:
Mike:

I would definitely get a 25 amp charger.

When lithium batteries are of a conventional nature, such as sixteen 3.2 volt cells charging to about 58.5 then our standard 48 volt charger would work fine. The problem often arises when packs are cobbled together with module's such as you're doing, then it's always something a little different. In this case, the target voltage of 57.4 falls in between a 42 volt, and a 48 volt design. The charger would have to be custom designed from the ground up, which we cannot do. That's just the nature of transformer based chargers.

A lightweight switch-mode type charger would be better suited, maybe a brand like Elcon for instance.

And you might try:

http://www.evamerica.com/

The last option would be to increase your pack capacity if possible so our standard 48 volt would work. 58.5 - 60 max charge voltage.

Sincerely,

Ray Santilli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #62
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Well Ray finally agreed to build me a charger that would be capped at 57.4V but he said no warranty, guarantee it would work, etc....

So I think I’ve decided to go with a Chargery BMS and their charger that pairs with it. The BMS communicates with the charger and adjusts charging current as the cells get close to full charge.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #63
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
Well Ray finally agreed to build me a charger that would be capped at 57.4V but he said no warranty, guarantee it would work, etc....

So I think I’ve decided to go with a Chargery BMS and their charger that pairs with it. The BMS communicates with the charger and adjusts charging current as the cells get close to full charge.

There is so much mis-information in regard to lithium and everything around it, even from suppliers.

The charger doesn’t need to adjust anything except limit current to the maximum current you want to charge at. The batteries themselves will reduce their current demand (the amount of current they are asking for) as they become more charged. It has nothing to do with the BMS. When this current demand is higher than the current limit of the charger, the current will be limited by the charger. As the demand drops below the current limit, the charger will (and should) supply as much current as the batteries are asking for.

Charger switch off should occur when the current reduced to 10% of the current limit value.

So, a 10A charger should charge at 10A maximum and switch off when current reduces to 1A. Similarly, a 30A charger will charge at 30A maximum and switch off at 3A.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #64
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
There is so much mis-information in regard to lithium and everything around it, even from suppliers.

The charger doesn’t need to adjust anything except limit current to the maximum current you want to charge at. The batteries themselves will reduce their current demand (the amount of current they are asking for) as they become more charged. It has nothing to do with the BMS. When this current demand is higher than the current limit of the charger, the current will be limited by the charger. As the demand drops below the current limit, the charger will (and should) supply as much current as the batteries are asking for.

Charger switch off should occur when the current reduced to 10% of the current limit value.

So, a 10A charger should charge at 10A maximum and switch off when current reduces to 1A. Similarly, a 30A charger will charge at 30A maximum and switch off at 3A.

Cheers

Pat.

I could have misspoken on how Jason explained the charger and BMS work together.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #65
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here are some pix from my build using a pair of 7S/3P Leaf modules. Cart is a 2010 Yamaha Drive, with Alltrax controller, D&D motor, 12 inch 215050-12 tires:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1071_Battery.jpg (51.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1070_BMS.jpg (55.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1072_Alltrax.jpg (57.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1073_MainDisplay.jpg (36.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1074_AllCellVolt.jpg (40.0 KB, 0 views)
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #66
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here a few more pix:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1075_Speedometer.jpg (39.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1076_BatVoltLower7.jpg (40.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1077_BatVoltUpper7.jpg (40.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1078_Wheel.jpg (41.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:58 PM   #67
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Looking good! Like that combo display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:24 AM   #68
benbern125
Not Yet Wild

Very nice Volt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
benbern125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:00 AM   #69
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nicely Done VA! Can you share some details on that combo display?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #70
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Display is a 4 line by 20 char display driven by an Arduino processor. I would prefer a fancy graphics display but I don't have the tools to create one yet. Next project.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium