lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
outatime
Not Yet Wild

Default Lift kit ... Long travel?

Hi guys

Need a little help please, I am about to buy a set of tires and rims for my 05 Precedent and I would like to lift it too, I have pretty much worn out the tires that came with the cart so after a blowout it's time to replace them.

We are planning to go to the coast later this year and want to take the cart with us to have a drive and maybe use on the beach. So need a little advice please.

First off what's really in a long travel kit and is it worth the $900 spent on it? Or would a normal 6" lift kit be just as good, I was looking at the All Sports range.

Also would a set of 22" All terrain tires be ok for road and beach... Is mostly for the road as I run the dog around the community at nights. I seem to burn through the tires that came with the cart originally.

Thank you for your help

Stuart
outatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lift kit ... Long travel?

Can't speak to what actually is in a long travel kit but I view it as being more for real off-road type use. A more standard lift kit will give you some clearance for off-road but doesn't do anything to give you more stability, really. Although, mine is surprisingly stable on 23" tires with a 6" lift. My lift was done mostly for looks and to support the taller tires. I hit a dirt path every now and then with it but it's mostly a pavement cruiser. I've had it on for about a year now and haven't noticed any significant tire wear with the AT type tires. It rides pretty good but, for pavement, a more car-like tire would probably ride and wear better.

I'd say pick your lift and tires based on the majority of your driving conditions, unless it conflicts with the look you want. On sand, you still aren't going to have 4x4, whether it looks like it or not, so it's going to be more about weight displacement over wider rubber than the tread type.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
outatime
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your reply. So the long travel is more off road so as drive 95% of the time on the road I guess a normal lift would work for me.

Next question is thre much difference between lift kits, I see a lot of Jakes but also on eBay there are kits included with tires and wheels but do not have a name of the lift kits, is there much difference in lift kit quality?

Also looking at the lift kits there seems to be a normal lift kit and then A arm lift kit, can you please tell me the difference and which one I should be going for?

Thank you

Stu
Old 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

They are just different types of lifts. Jakes is probably considered the "premier" brand for cart lift kits. There are some asian knock-offs of it and I have never tried one but I would stay away from them and have seen recommendations on this site to stay away from them. I believe the A-arm lift install is a bit more involved but some consider it a slightly better lift than the spindle lift. Lifting the rear end is pretty straightforward, no matter what. You take everything apart, install blocks between the axle and suspension and fasten back together with longer u-bolts. The front end on a spindle lift is basically taking the front end apart, replacing the factory spindles with longer ones, and putting it all back together - but the suspension design remains as it was originally. If you want a lift for looks, clearance, and light off-road performance, you can't go wrong with a Jake's spindle lift kit, in my opinion. If you want a little extra, then perhaps the A-arm or long travel kit is the way to go.

I bought all my stuff on ebay but I took my time and pounced on a good deal on a wheel/tire package that sat in my barn for several months before I pounced on a good deal on a Jakes spindle lift. It's a simple install for 2 people that are able and not afraid to turn a wrench. I was able to handle it all by myself but I had to get a little creative on the rear end to go it alone.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

A long travel kit will do exactly what the name says....it will give each side of your front suspension independent long travel. It isn't necessary for road use, but for off road use it softens up and levels out the front of your ride. One thing though....you still have the rear of the cart acting like a brick. It is stiff as a board and has no independent travel. As for brands, Allsport has a better turning radius on regular A-arm lift kits, but when you go long travel, that turning radius goes out the window. I wouldn't recommend them unless your goal was off road use only. IMHO
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I Highly recommend the All-Sports 6" Kit. (Non-Long Travel)
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
outatime
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys think I understand a lot better now.

I heard the All Sports are good so how does this combo look
https://www.everythingcarts.com/p-54...-lift-kit.aspx

https://www.everythingcarts.com/p-31...ket-wheel.aspx

Sound like a good match, looks like I can get 5% off too, any other codes floating around?

Thank you

Stuart
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Not bad Stuart. The wheel/tire says it includes center cap but doesn't mention lug nuts. If they aren't included, keep in mind you'll need some. The tread on those tires appears to be similar to what I have, maybe a little knobby'er. They should hold up good as long as you take care of them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car