lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
manx
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Dune Buggy Golf Cart Project - Need Input

Hello all. Newbie here. I'm new to golf carts & have plans for a project. Here's the story. My wife wants a golf cart to buzz around the property & to give our granddaughter rides. I always wanted a Meyers Manx style dune buggy but could never justify such an impractical vehicle.

So I came up with the idea to combine them both into one. I acquired the fiberglass body pictured. It's from an amusement park ride. I plan to fit it on a golf cart chassis. I've already talked with a fiberglass expert who is on board. But neither of us is a golf cart expert.

So I have many questions. I'm learning a lot from this site, but I do not yet know all the right questions to ask. I would like to avoid as many mistakes as possible. Some of you have done projects like this. Please give me your advice.

This cart is primarily for my wife's use. She's not looking for extreme speed or off road ability. She just wants a good cart. I want it to look great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DuneBuggy1.jpg (31.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg UmbrellaRide.jpg (52.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (40.8 KB, 97 views)
manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Dune Buggy Golf Cart Project - Need Input

This will be a great build, kinda scooby doo.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Cool idea. It'll be a one of a kind for sure....

Have you picked out a cart yet? If not I'd go with an ezgo. They are super simple to work on, the suspension setup is very basic and straight forward, and the subaru robin engine is bulletproof in stock form and runs forever.

As far as advice for fitting the body....umm....no idea. That thing looks pretty cool though! Hope you get lots of glass help from your buddy.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
kellys~hotrods
Gone to refill cooler...

Yamaha

If you have not yet, come take a look at my build. It is a Yamaha limo with a partial VW pan, IRS, street-strip trans-axle, and 1600 dual port VW engine. Here is a link:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...-g14-limo.html

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Kelly
kellys~hotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Always wanted to build a Manx style buggy. I like Bandit's full length bodies, which allow an uncut pan, back seat & trunk, not to mention like 3" or 4" of lift built into it.
Maybe some day.

Seems like a full sized Manx body will be too heavy for a 9 - 24 hp cart engine to motor around at any reasonable speed, especially with the pan (weight) & VW wheels/tires (gear ratio) on it.

Love to see how you take it on.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
WAYNES WORLD
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like a great project. You may want to measure the wheel base of the body and post it here. This may help with picking a cart to start with.
Wayne
WAYNES WORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Typical Bug is 94.5" wheelbase. Typical Manx uses a pan shortened to 80". Width is around 61".

EZGo golf carts run about 65" x 35".

Guessing it would need to be a custom made body.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All golf carts are going to be about the same size. You are going to have to widen and stretch the cart or shrink the body???
And weight is going to be a concern for the cart so I guess shrink the body is the best option??
IDK
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
rib33024

I'am not sure everyone is on the same page here. from what I read here, he is going to use the body in the first pic, which is a fiberglass dune buggy body that came from an amusement park kid ride. so the body that he is going to use is smaller that the body in pic #3, I don't think he is going to use the body in the third pic???? but lets ask the OP, I could be wrong
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, hopefully the body from the amusement park ride is smaller than a Manx body.

The other issue I see is that a Manx body is typically installed on top of a pan type chassis. And any golf cart I've ever looked at is a ladder/frame type chassis. So the OP is going to have to graft the two together somehow, which I think will be a challenge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center