lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Biggest Bang for Buck

After we recently moved to a more rural area (Texas Hill Country) from an overcrowded beach city in So Cal my wife brought up the idea of getting a golfcart. I admit, I was initially against it. She already had a mini cooper all tricked out w/ cooperworks garb, which is practically a a golfcart in itself... right? Then I started to notice all the 1/2 mile trips down the street and back, the wear and tear that the start/stop took on the cars, warming them up in the winter and baking in the hot car in the summer; which got me thinking about golf carts again. We live in a gated community, full of golfcarts and no golf course... So it was only a matter of time before I got to take a neighbors cart for a spin and the itch just grew from there. At first I looked at side by sides, like a mule or rhino. But I loved being able to cruise around in the evening with almost no road noise, it seemed so peaceful and ahh the convenience of an electric cart. It's also made sense to have for gardening and other jobs around the property, so I started looking at used golfcarts.
I found out that a family friend was selling a 95 medalist to make room in their garage for their Jeep... It needed some work, but it looked like a fun project, or so I thought.
Anyway, I've managed to go from not wanting a golfcart at all just 8 months ago to spending countless hours over the past few months on BGW and working on the cart.
So far I've managed to tear body down to the metal, prep, prime and paint it (PPG 2 stage Hummer Black in a matte clear. Reconditioned most of the plastic. I had the utility bed rhino lined, installed a 5" list w/ 8" x 22" knobbies, a 12v accessory battery, switches, stereo (just waiting to be installed)... All of which, I had no intention of doing but when the cart got a flat tire it didnt make sense to just replace it... I had to "make it better".

So far, I've been able to save money in a lot of places. I've tapped into my stash of old automotive parts and accessories, recycled hardware, restored existing body parts and searched for deals on everything else.

Now, I'm contemplating my next move and could use some advice. As I mentioned above, I have a 95 EZGO Medalist, 36V Series on 22" tires w/ a utlity bed. The cart's primary use will be transpo for 2 (occasionally 4) people around the neighborhood. We also use it to haul fertilizer and clippings around the yard. We live in a hilly area, so added torque is a must and I wouldnt mind some added speed (20 mph would be awesome). The batteries in the cart are a mismatched set ranging anywhere from 2 to 7 yrs old, so they should all probably be replaced along with the wires. Which brings me to my question, "what upgrade(s) will give me the most bang for the $ ?"
- Given that I will probably be replacing all the batteries, would this be a good time to consider a 48v conversion? What is the most cost effective way to do this? I currently have the EZ-GO powerwise III 36v charger, model: 26984.
- Should I be considering controller or motor upgrades? If so, what will be the best bang for the $?
-What else?

I am sorry about the long winded story, but all the threads I've seen all say "it really depends on what you intend to use the cart for", so I filled in as many blanks as I could. I'm not opposed to package deals, or outside the box suggestions or even used/refurbished as long as it does the job. I appreciate any help in my ultimate persuit of the best bang for my buck. thanks.
sm-outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Biggest Bang for Buck

WOW! what a great story.There will be some EZ-GO folks along soon to help you spend your money.Keep up the good work.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

sm

The best thing you can do, and if you want power with a little more speed IMO is go to a 48v setup. Yes you will spend some money, but if you want the torque like you have mentioned then this is the way to go. You can get a 400amp controller, solenoid, diode, resistor, but you will also need another charger, of course along with the batteries.

You could also just upgrade the controller, etc like above, I forgot 4 gauge cables, which in return will give you a nice boost to your existing cart. Both ways you do not need to upgrade you motor, if you go above 400 amp you need to consider upgrading your motor. If you stay 36v you will not need to upgrade your charger. Hope this helps.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Electric carts are great but they were designed for 2 people & short trips ball to ball. Once you start with the big tires and extra passengers or cargo you will find yourself needing more power. There are several ways to get there but the consensus is that 48v is the place to get to. You can go hog wild and get a bigger controller & motor and fresh 8v batteries, big cables, etc. OR, you can sneak up on it and buy a complete conversion a few pieces at a time.

I like the first step to be a 36-48v controller/solenoid and a cable upgrade through out & HD F&R switch to handle the increased amperage.
At this point you will have an improved machine with much more torque to turn those big tires under added loads .....

2nd stage to be 48v worth of batteries ( 2 different configurations are possible)
A 48v solenoid, A way to charge 48v batteries.

3rd and final stage being a motor upgrade.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You want pics? You asked for it.
Here's the progression, a work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO.jpg (65.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 001.jpg (28.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 002.jpg (29.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 003.jpg (84.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 004.jpg (83.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

and then....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 009.jpg (77.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 014.jpg (70.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 007.jpg (74.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 017.jpg (77.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 019.jpg (61.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Hey outlaw, make sure you put those longhorn emblems back on the cart......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It was around this point when I remembered why I should've used plastic to mask off the undercarriage instead of paper.... Wet sanding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 021.jpg (63.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 027.jpg (66.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 032.jpg (70.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 036.jpg (61.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 034.jpg (78.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Starting to take shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 035.jpg (84.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 038.jpg (67.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 044.jpg (64.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 048.jpg (56.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Golfcart Pics 056.jpg (83.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
Hey outlaw, make sure you put those longhorn emblems back on the cart......
The longhorns caused too much controversy around here... too many aggies close to us. Besides, my alma mater is UCSB, but I'm not putting a Gaucho on the cart either.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO