lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 Club Car DS all new everything wont run!

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!
2001 48V Club Car DS without tow switch.
History: Cart was bought used as is from a local shop. The shop did give it the “once over “. The cart was given a new set of interstate batteries and cables. After we brought the cart home, we used it for about a week. Maybe five miles total. The last time the cart ran we plugged it into its charger for the night. This is the original charger that came with the Club cars utilizing the OBC. The next day we tried to move drive the cart. I turned the key and heard a sizzling sound behind the key switch. I shut the key off. I removed the negative from the battery bank and pulled the key switch panel off. It appeared one of the screws on the key switch had grounded out causing the post to melt. I replace the key switch. I replaced the negative on the battery. This did nothing. Put the cart in reverse and the cart would not move. No forward, no reverse. Turned the lights on just to check for power and the lights worked fine. I checked the batteries with my multi meter, the battery bank was fully charged. New to golf carts I looked online for common problems. The solenoid was number one on the list. I replaced the solenoid. This did nothing. Since the cart is old and worn, I figured rather than replacing part by part I would just replace all the major parts and wiring. I contacted Golf Cart King and let them put together a package for me. Below is the list of parts we replaced along with their accompanying wiring. Since we have a new charger, we got the instructions to remove the OBC from the cart as it has no purpose with the new charger. We also terminated all wiring not involved in the basic operation of the car. Lights, horn, back up buzzer. We only wanted wiring involved in the cart actually moving to be in our loop.
• Factory club car ignition switch
• M-GC8-UTL Interstate golf cart batteries and cables
• Universal 36/48v heavy Duty solenoid
• 3-amp Solenoid Diode for 400Amp switch
• Club Car DS Heavy Duty Forward/Reverse switch
• 500 Alltrax Series Controller for Club Car DS
• Red Hawk Admiral Motor 10 spline Club Car
• Club car DS Potentiometer
After replacing and all these components and their wiring we put the cart up on jack stands. At full pedal the motor would only spin the back wheel if we helped to get it started by hand. The wheel would also only spin backwards regardless of forward / reverse lever orientation. We contacted Alltrax they literally walked us through the cart with a multi meter pin by pin wire by wire. The Alltrax head tech said everything checks out the new motor is bad. The shipped us a new motor. In the meantime we had a local shop double check our wiring. They do not work with Alltrax controllers, but they did confirm our wiring looked correct. The new motor arrived and was installed. Nothing but the motor was touched. This motor is acting the exact same way as the first new motor except it will only spin forward regardless of if you are in forward or reverse. Once again zero torque. When plugged into a laptop running the Alltrax program in monitor everything is showing up fine. The throttle is tracking up and down and there are no alarms. Could the original short in the ignition switch have cause a failure in the batteries?? Not enough amperage? They hold a charge and read a solid 49v.
smally1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #2
willygee
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2001 Club Car DS all new everything wont run!

My batteries, Trojans 6x8 read 51.2 after fully charged and sitting a couple days or more.
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:48 AM   #3
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Man that is a bummer to hear. I had a EZGO that had this ever moving gremlin in it. I finally had to cut my losses. I now have a 48volt clubcar and fully charged I'm at 51.x volts. 49v is only about 60% charged. Not saying that's it!
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

More than likely you damaged some wiring when the ignition switch incident happened. Wiring inside the insulated jacket is tough to trace by looking at it on the outside. Then there is the matter of what Club Car calls a "sonic weld". Since you've swapped out most of the component parts of the cart & modified some of the wire harness (for example disabling the OBC). Someone needs to get the correct wiring diagram for your cart and start checking every wire and every connection on the cart.
This all assumes all your new parts are for the correct drive system on the cart. Is it series or sepex?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Its a series cart. Here is the interesting part. We have replaced all the wiring on the cart from the key switch back. Any wiring not involved in the cart moving has been taken out of the loop. We are just dumbfounded with this thing. It was supposed to be an xmas present for my girls now it just sits like a boat anchor. Carts are so expensive here in florida at the moment. we knew it was old but figured, ok we may need a few more parts. This cart has literally all new wiring and every major component is new. we have been on the phone for hours ringing this thing out. My neighbor is the service manager for a local Harley dealership. He builds bikes for fun. Im a service technician for a chemical feed company. Neither of us makes it two days without a FLUKE in our hands.This *** thing has us baffled. As far at the removal of the OBC we followed the wiring diagram we obtained from club car. The problem was there before we removed it. Since its merely part of the old school charging system they said removing it is very common. we for the most part started with a fresh cart. I'm running out of ideas here fellas. If someone has a link or a trusted mechanic I would love to speak with them. YOu would think in the land of the golf cart I could find one. Thank you for responding we are just baffled.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

All the parts in the cart were chosen by Berry at Golf Cart King. They have an amazing reputation. Berry has hundreds of YouTube videos. I spoke with him multiple times and he's even scratching his head. I have a box of ammo two cases of beer and a few sheets of plywood for anyone that can solve this things problem lol
Old 01-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #7
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally1989 View Post
Carts are so expensive here in florida at the moment. If someone has a link or a trusted mechanic I would love to speak with them. YOu would think in the land of the golf cart I could find one. Thank you for responding we are just baffled.
Where abouts are you In florida? I'm by Lake City and we have several good after market golf cart guys. Also have a few not so good. It just gets better and better the further south.
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

I'm in Saint Augustine. I'm willing to drag it where ever it needs to go at this point. I know its going to be a cool little cart its just got a gremlin somewhere.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Here is another interesting piece of the puzzle. We disconnected my battery bank and connected to my neighbor's cart. He has a new set of batteries as well. I was hoping my new batteries may have a problem. No such luck the cart is still responding the same way.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:07 PM   #10
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

has anyone programmed in the parameters for the controller?
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax, cc ds, no torque, not running
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car