lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default 2011 Tomberlin Vanish wont move

Its time to revisit this.
When I turn the key on I get lights on the dash and the main contactor closes. Nothing when I press the accelerator. Note the P light on the dash above the speedometer. Check the dash photo. I don't think it should be on but there it is.
History
2011 Tomberlin Vanish - NOS
I was prepping it for sale and while driving it on the truck, the tops blew off of the batteries.
Replaced all of the batteries. Car moved.
Washed the car and let dry. All good.
Days later wanted to load it on the trailer and it wouldn't move.
1 year later with it doing nothing but taking up space and here I am.

The DC-DC converter failed. I replaced. The dash lights came back.
The Danaher controller was sent to Flight Systems. They cant do a thorough check but from what they can tell it is functioning properly.

Columbia cant help. There isn't any support for a product this old.

Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tspeed.jpg (157.9 KB, 0 views)
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2011 Tomberlin Vanish wont move

The P light means parking brake. The owners manual refers to a mechanical parking brake. Mine does not have a mechanical parking brake.
What causes the P light to come on?
Old 01-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The parking switch wire goes in to the Power Controller module that I now have in my hand. The P light went out! Car still doesn't move. I'm guessing that this module des way more than control the P light.
Any information on this device?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From Vanish Operation Manual:

PARKING BRAKE
The parking brake lever is located at the center of the seat extending from the floor. Pull the lever up and to the rear to engage the parking brake.To release, push in and hold the release button on the end ofthe lever and push the lever all the way down. Spring pressure helps return the lever to the released position. If the Parking Brake is engaged while the key switch is in the On Position, a green (P) light will illuminate above the speedometer and the vehicle will not operate until the parking brake is completely lowered and "P" light goes off.

P.s I don't know the Vanish but, i've had a Tomberlin Emerge some years ago. It had the same function and as far as i remember, there was a check of the P brake light switch mentioned in the troubleshooting guide!
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
The parking switch wire goes in to the Power Controller module that I now have in my hand. The P light went out! Car still doesn't move. I'm guessing that this module des way more than control the P light.
Any information on this device?
I know what a parking brake is and how it operates. Please note in my follow up posts that I said this car doesn't have a mechanical parking brake.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, sorry - but a spring loaded lever and following sentence from the manual, that sounds like a standard parking brake

"and the vehicle will not operate until the parking brake is completely lowered and "P" light goes off."
Old 01-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
I know what a parking brake is and how it operates. Please note in my follow up posts that I said this car doesn't have a mechanical parking brake.
Is that cart any special? How do you think your parking brake works?

Again from the Vanish Owners Manual:

"The second braking system is a hand operated mechanical parking brake. This hand lever mechanically engages independent rear brakes to keep the car stationary when parked or left unattended. Always engage the parking brake when parking the VANISH or leaving it unattended."

1. Hydraulic 4-wheel disc brake
2. Mechanical parking brake
3. Motor (regen) brake

Old 01-10-2022, 05:56 AM   #8
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Is that cart any special? How do you think your parking brake works?
My honest answer is that I don't know. That is one of the questions I have here.
I have read the manual many times and the brake that it refers to is not on my car. I don't think that I have a special car. Just not the one that the available manual refers to.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:47 AM   #9
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A common system on millions of street cars with disc brakes in the rear is a small brake drum inside the rear discs. By following the brake cables coming from the hand lever assembly should help to find something like that.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

OJO, another type of park brake is a mechanical arm on the back of the caliper that physically pushed on the caliper piston. Again, he can look at the rear brakes to see if it has a hydraulic line and a cable. If there is a cable, then chances are it had a park brake. Another method used on drift cars is a second master cylinder in the rear brake lines operated by a park brake lever that overrides the pedal.

Maybe some models were produced differently, but I can't see a manufacturer making a vehicle without some sort of parking brake?

I am not doubting rstacy's remarks about it, just curious!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin