lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #21
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Robins 295 won't start after rebuild

One way I check valve seating is to pour gas in the intake and exhaust ports before you disassemble the head and see if it leaks through into the cylinder head chamber area.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #22
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Shoulda sent it to trig for a proper build. Not

I hear he’s old > vintage :(

and got all the time in the world for that
I wish
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:31 PM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Not
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:38 PM   #24
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I wish
You’re the only guy I’d trust to rebuild my engine if I had an ezgo. Or do it myself but I’ve still got heartburn about the oil pressure in that stupid workhorse. That one still sits sour.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:33 AM   #25
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You’re the only guy I’d trust to rebuild my engine if I had an ezgo.

On a serious note, it looks to me that new valves have been installed, but not lapped in at all. It is usual to see the inlet seats still like new but the exhaust seats burnt, crusty, pitted or worn. What i see here is possibly burning due to old inlet valves worn out or not fully seated before the rebuild and open slightly causing burning of the seats on the ignition stroke.
When you lap valves in you work toward a narrow grey line around the contact surface between the valve head and the seat. I see no indication of this in these pictures. On that evidence, i would definitely be tearing the rest of the engine down to inspect all moving contact surfaces. If they failed to lap in valves, where else have they failed to inspect and repair any wear or damage. The wear on the rocker pads is minimal and would not worry me unduly, as i have seen much worse. I am however surprised that it will not fire at all as is, as I have seen running engines in worse condition.
I wonder if maybe you have other issues to look at as well such as ignition and fuel. Once you have the engine mechanically good, and with good compression, you will soon know if you need to look deeper.

Edit.

CP's comment about paint everywhere would be a big red flag to me. I mean, who paints a cam belt? why not take the oil sender out and plug the hole before painting. Is that flywheel also painted? how about the pulser? silver paint may possibly affect that (just guessing).
Personally i prefer to see rebuilt engines properly bead blasted rather than painted or even just plain tank cleaned to be honest. In my mind, paint is just a quick cover up job.

Rant over
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #26
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for all the info. Yes I was surprised at many things! I sent this off last February because I didn't have a place to work on it. I just put it in my golf cart thinking it would fire right up and be done. After working on the valve seat I am pretty sure that is the problem. I don't have them perfect just yet but it is getting better. Waiting on some gaskets to get it back together then I will update.
KevinBuchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #27
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

Received the parts and gaskets I needed...... putting it back together and 2 of the head bolts are stripped out. Looks like they put heli coils in them but they are not holding. Any thoughts on the best way to fix this? The threads still look good but they are just spinning when I try to torque them.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:57 PM   #28
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuchner View Post
Received the parts and gaskets I needed...... putting it back together and 2 of the head bolts are stripped out. Looks like they put heli coils in them but they are not holding. Any thoughts on the best way to fix this? The threads still look good but they are just spinning when I try to torque them.
Jeez

Pull the helicoil out and get a time-sert kit. They’re pricey but much much better than a helicoil. We used to use them on 2AZ-FE Camry head bolts when I used to work at a Toyota dealer. Toyota recommended them on all the bolt holes except the corners.

Work awesome for oil pans too. They’re a permanent fix unlike a helicoil.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:59 PM   #29
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And I’d DEFINITELY be raising bell with the engine builder
Old 01-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #30
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

yes, I did! he told me to send the engine back to him. That cost $100 each way then once he has my engine, I am sure he will want to charge me more because everything will be my fault and then try to get my engine back without paying more $$$. ugh!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO