lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Your present engine has a tapered shaft clutch.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZ45 View Post
https://vegascarts.com/collections/ezgo/Mounts

Do I need to use these cradle mounts and big block kits?

If so, why?

Most of their products are for 22+ hp engine conversions

I will not be going over 18hp
What you need:

Engine with 1" straight shaft crank (like Vanguard 16hp Vtwin 479cc)
Primary clutch for 1" straight shaft crank (like Comet 780)
Stock secondary clutch (as long as its in good condition)
HD Belt (cogged style, stock size or size it to fit your setup)
Engine mount (purchase one or make your own)
Starter switch (Briggs style for lawn tractor)

That's all you need if you already have a cart with a lift kit, you should have plenty of room in the engine compartment.

The engine you choose is your preference. I like the smaller 16 and 18 Vanguard twins, just make sure it's 1" straight shaft horizontal crank. The smaller engines with the smaller carbs run really nice and usually don't need any tuning. The bigger 23hp engine has a 2 barrel carb that I'm not super fond of, and it usually needs some fiddling with to get it just right with no dead spots or lag.

With the key switch you'll use the engine mounted electric starter so you'll have to wire that in. It's fairly simple if you're mechanically inclined. Plenty of threads about it and lots on the internet. Basically you wire it up just like a lawn tractor.

Your accelerator pedal will be the tricky part. But with some imagination and some deep thought you should be able to get it. Every engine has a linkage that you can adapt your cable to. Every one of them is different so there's no single "right way" you just have to rig it up. Sometimes the cart pedal travel is different than the engines carb travel and you have to make a linkage that will get it adjusted equally. I like the "bell crank" throttle mod.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess I was thinking I could just unbolt the Fugi 350cc and bolt on a larger engine in the same location

Even if I had to make a mounting plate for the new engine, if the bolt spacing pattern didn't match up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-2139443991.jpg (62.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1967067046.jpg (71.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-567739413.jpg (66.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1226117122.jpg (67.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1691184022.jpg (62.1 KB, 0 views)
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:51 PM   #14
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Brainstorming with a friend

He suggested a 14hp or 15hp engine, with almost a 100cc larger

Still a 3hp to 4hp gain and the engines can be had for under $500

I just wonder if that will make me smile, or should I focus on a 16hp engine
Old 12-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The new engine won't bolt in place of the old one, you'll need to fabricate or purchase an engine mount plate/cradle. The older TXT's the Robin engine was bolted in between two cast aluminum mounts that when they all bolted together they became the swing arm. Remove the engine, now you have no swing arm. That engine actually had bolts on the side toward the bottom, the aftermarket engines have the bolt holes on the bottom. Not a direct swap.

The smaller engines are what we call "clones"....that is...."Honda Gx390 clones" made in China. They are single cylinder engines that are copies of the the Honda engines. If you can get a genuine Honda GX390 they are great engines and made quite well. The clones, while decent in quality, will never be like the Hondas. Just the same, the Harbor Freight Predator 670 will never be a Honda GX630. In some ways, clones are better, like cost and availability.

Will a 15 hp clone be better than a 16 hp Briggs Vanguard Vtwin? No way. The Vtwin not only makes way more torque, you get that torque low in the rpm range, perfect for a golf cart. Also, the V twin is smoother and quieter. Single cylinder clones are notoriously chattery and loud and vibrate quite a bit. Briggs quality is much higher than any clone. Honda also makes Vtwins, and they are known to be excellent. Down side to new Briggs and Honda Vtwins is cost is high.

Will a 15 hp clone work? Absolutely, quite well actually. But no comparison to a Vtwin.

Do what your budget allows. If you can only afford a new clone, go that route, it will be much more power than stock. Just know the cons that go along with the clones.

If your budget allows for a Vtwin, definitely go that route. You won't regret it. Ask anyone who has one, especially anyone who has had both a clone and Vtwin.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:54 PM   #16
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info......I definitely would not use a single cylinder engine
Old 12-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #17
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I found a nicely used 18hp Vanguard for $300, just needs a carb rebuild
Old 12-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #18
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Who makes the engine cradles?

Vegas Carts

CPP

Wicked Carts
Old 12-16-2021, 06:31 AM   #19
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Going from a stock 11hp engine to a Briggs 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will be a night and day difference. Big torque low in the rpm range is perfect for a golf cart, especially if you use it to pull a load like a small trailer or a mower or like to use it for work. In stock form with 23" tires the Briggs can rev safely to 4500 rpm without modification and will net a top speed around 30 mph. If you keep the factory governor on the engine you will top out at around 3800 rpm and 25 mph. Either way it's a big improvement over stock.

A 16hp engine isn't much different, but hey, might as well go for the 18hp version. Difference in stock form wouldn't be very noticable if compared side by side. So buy what you can get a good price on. Either one will work nicely on that cart.

Another thought is the HF670 Predator. Much different animal. It comes with a muffler that actually sounds really good. Much more power here. Same rev limiter and speed, just huge amount of torque!!! Cost will be similar. Quality is good. I did have some minor issues with it, the fuel pump is junk, fuel lines should be replaced, spark plugs are terrible. So with a few minor cheap upgrades I feel like it's a bargain for the amount of power you get. Keep in mind....it's a China copy engine.....quality isn't the same as the Japan made Vanguard.

I've used the following vtwin engines:
16hp Vanguard twin stock
23hp Vanguard twin stock
22hp HF670 Predator twin stock (my second favorite)
16hp Vanguard twin, rev kit, cam, 18hp carb (by far my favorite)
23hp Vanguard with 34mm Mikuni and full 1.5" pipe exhaust (third favorite)
Why was the modded 16hp your favorite over the 23? I like mine but been thinking of buying a 23 or 31 briggs
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #20
Mjmck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZ45 View Post
Who makes the engine cradles?

Vegas Carts

CPP

Wicked Carts
You pretty much hit it on the head there. I have no experience with the EZGo platform but we run a VC swap kit with HF 670 in a CC DS that pulls wheelies just as they show on their website. Torque is stupid. If your looking budget you wont get that with a prefab swap kit for a "Big Block", you will need a home made custom fabricated cradle (might not be a big deal if you have fab skills).
Mjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!