lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ranger EV battery help

I wasn't sure where to post this. I sold my electric ezgo a couple of years back and bought a 2018 Polaris Ranger EV. It has two 48v banks of 12v batteries. 4 x 12 pack in series on each side that then run parallel together. I have the battery watering system and have kept them full.

I typically ride only short trips on my property until hunting season comes around which it just has. I noticed my state of charge was dropping way fast on the longer ride. When I checked the batteries one of the cables that is not real visible in the back had corroded and come apart. I am not sure how long it had been this way. I repaired the cable and my ride time is improved but it is not what it used to be.

I think the two packs are unbalanced now. I have tried charging but I think the good bank is getting full first and cutting the charger off before the other side is 100%. Will the packs balance themselves over time or should I try something like charging each battery individually with a 12v charger?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Ranger EV battery help

Yes, you could individually charge the lower batteries. Other option might be to reroute your 48 volt charger to just the one side. Either way you do need to get them evened up to get best use out of them.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check your fuses if you have them. Fixing the cable might have lead to a big amp drain quickly if your one pack was in a different SOC than the other.

Assuming your fuses are good and both packs are truly parallel, then your "packs" cannot be imbalanced from one to the other... If one pack is at 49.6V the other HAS to be at 49.6V because you have them paralleled. So charging one will also charge the other. Again, assuming your cables and fuses are all connected properly. Disconnecting the pack and charging directly with a 48v charger will get you nothing.

What you can have is an unbalanced battery in the pack. What I'd do is check each battery. Especially on the pack that was disconnected and therefore not being charged. If you have one battery less than the others just charge it up with a 12V charger. This is because the pack is made of 12V batteries in series, not parallel.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
texan
Gone Wild

Disconnect all batteries and charge each battery to 100% which is 12.73
This should level your pack out.
Does the EV have a total of 4 12 volt batteries ?
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab46501 View Post
When I checked the batteries one of the cables that is not real visible in the back had corroded and come apart. I am not sure how long it had been this way. I repaired the cable and my ride time is improved but it is not what it used to be.
If you had corrosion in one cable, there may corrosion in other cables. It might be a good time to proactively replace all your high amperage cables.

What gauge of cables are installed on your Ranger EV? If they are smaller than 2 gauge, you might want to replace them with 2 gauge or larger.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All the cables are 2 gauge and the battery corrosion has been addressed. I did not think about a fuse so I will check for that. The under seat access in the Ranger EV is not nearly as good as a typical golf cart so I may have to look really hard at any other possible connections. It sounds like I need to go through them one by one. There are two banks of batteries with four 12v batteries in each bank.

Thanks for all the replies/advice!
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!