lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2016 Drive YDR Refurb - Ride is wayyy too stiff!

Hi all,
New to the forum and looking for some advice from you experts!

My 1st golf cart! I bought this recently from a friend who cannot drive any longer. He bought this refurbished 6 months ago. The refurb looks good, runs great, Lithium batteries, new seats, new top, tires and rims, excellent paint job, new plastic dash, etc

However, the ride is really jarring from the smallest bumps on golf course cart paths, streets, etc.

I talked with the company which did the refurb. They said the ride will stiffen once the weight of the old batteries is gone. Also said the springs around the shocks does most of the work. He didn't replace the shocks. But he did not have any suggestions to make it better. I did lower the air in the tires. They were almost 40 lbs. 12" tires, new radials. Set the air at 30 lbs. Not much difference.

Any suggestions? I recognize it will never offer a luxury ride but I am worried about my back with this pounding.

Thx DD
DDNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2016 Drive YDR Refurb - Ride is wayyy too stiff!

I would recommend running at most 18 lbs in the tires. Yes - the ride is stiffer with Lithium - 300 lbs lighter and without softer springs, the suspension is too stiff.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNorCal View Post
I did lower the air in the tires. They were almost 40 lbs. 12" tires, new radials. Set the air at 30 lbs. Not much difference.
Is that a low profile tire? They aren't known for the best ride and 30 lbs. is still way too much. 18 is a good number.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Yamaha in my opinion is one of the best riding carts made due to the coil over suspension verses leaf sprung carts. Unfortunately, the smaller the sidewall the stiffer the ride along with taking considerable weight out of it with Lithium.
Either way you go you will need to spend some money,
Smaller diameter rims with taller sidewall running lower pressure and/or install the factory coil overs from a Yamaha gas cart.

Anyone know the spring rate difference between the gas and electric carts?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you can find them, the rear shocks from a gas Yamaha are softer than the ones from an electric. The gas Yamaha weighs about the same as an electric with Lithium batteries. Most of the battery weight is in the rear so the rear shocks are the ones that are way too stiff with the lighter battery weight.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree with Volt_Ampere and he is correct I put the gasser shocks on my 2013 G29 and have converted to lithium and the ride is much better than it was with the electric shocks.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
If you can find them, the rear shocks from a gas Yamaha are softer than the ones from an electric. The gas Yamaha weighs about the same as an electric with Lithium batteries. Most of the battery weight is in the rear so the rear shocks are the ones that are way too stiff with the lighter battery weight.
Volt, I was trying to find the gas shocks but new stock in the places I have checked, the part numbers are the same for new stock. Did you get older used ones via PingEye which may have been different?
Old 11-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
I agree with Volt_Ampere and he is correct I put the gasser shocks on my 2013 G29 and have converted to lithium and the ride is much better than it was with the electric shocks.
Thanks! How did you find those shocks for the gas model? Older used or new?
Old 12-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

To finish up on this thread, I did buy the rear shocks used in the gas-version cart. Per other threads and help from many members, they have the thinner diameter coil material, which many have said improved the stiffness significantly. Same size as the electric version, mounting, etc.

They are readily available. PN is JW1-F2210-10-00. I bought them from ADEPTpowersports.com They order directly from Yamaha. $75.67 each, free shipping.

Haven't installed yet but hoping to in a few days. From the reports of others who have installed, looking forward to a better ride.

ThxDD
Old 01-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #10
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Happy New Year! New shocks installed today and a very noticeable improvement to the rear stiffness. Cart appears to have the same steering control, cornering, etc. Front is still somewhat too firm Going to look at some larger "comfort tires".

Tags
shocks, stiff ride
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha