lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
austinKaratePants
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 G29 YDRE brake play question

Hi all,

I purchased a 2009 G29 YDRE that did not have any brakes whatsoever, and this is my first venture into carts, so I wanted to check everyone's opinion on the brake play. The previous owner did replace the cable, and I am almost wondering if it's too long

To test, I put the cart up on jacks and removed the spring to the brake lever. It seemed like the brake was activated because it was very hard to spin the wheels, all be it, if I wanted to, I could spin them.

The transaxle has a yellow sticker on it. Not sure if that helps.

In the one attached picture, the lever is pushed pretty far forward, and the angle of the cable would seem like it could really never get that far forward. Does this look like it's possible?

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-07-24_15-15-14_265.jpg (20.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-07-24_15-16-09_722.jpg (24.7 KB, 0 views)
austinKaratePants is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 G29 YDRE brake play question

With the arm moving that far forward before engaging the brakes, they are probably worn enough to need replacement. I got a 2009 6 months ago and I had the same issue. I had a 2012 cart to compare it to and the brake arm engaged at a much more reasonable angle. I replaced the brakes - a fairly major job.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
austinKaratePants
Not Yet Wild

After reading just about all the YDRE brake threads here, I figured that would be the case. Thank you for confirming. The cart does have fluid, and some decent amount of black sediment in there.

Is the attached image the correct kit for brakes? Sorry, I can't post links yet.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 4.28.44 PM.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That looks like the kit I bought. Not from Yamaha but a hell of a lot cheaper and the parts looked fine to me. Be aware that you need a press to remove one of the brake parts from the shaft. There are some videos out there on how to disassemble the transaxle and someone here posted the important pages from the Yamaha service manual that tell you exactly how to do this job.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Strange, but i dont think that's normal wear of the brake, i would suggest something broken inside or the lever has moved forward? The yellow sticker on the Team Axle is good, a white sticker would be bad.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Strange, but i dont think that's normal wear of the brake, i would suggest something broken inside or the lever has moved forward? The yellow sticker on the Team Axle is good, a white sticker would be bad.
I think I agree that it's more than wear. Normally, these brakes last a long time and the arm should not move anywhere near that far forward before actuating the brake. Not sure what would cause that but there are a lot of moving parts in there and the mechanical advantage is huge. Either way, it needs to come apart for inspection / repair.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
austinKaratePants
Not Yet Wild

I am getting the parts ordered today, so it's going to be coming apart!

One other thought, when I was rotating the axel to test the brakes, it wasn't silky smooth. It was kind of bumpy, like something wrong with a bearing. Anyone ever see or feel that before?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The outer axle bearings can fail. You can tell more when you remove the motor.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
austinKaratePants
Not Yet Wild

I was able to get the transaxle out and crack it open last night. The brake disks seem pretty worn. When I turn the brake lever, it has to go all the way down for the disks to fully engage. The oil smells like burnt rubber as well, so I am suspecting the whole assembly needs to be replaced. Lots of sludge inside the case as well. I will do my best to clean that up.

The next step is to order the whole brake assembly, and I am going to get out bearings, as there is a tiny bit of play in them, might as well. What kind of silicon does everyone use to put the case back together?
Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I used Permatex ultra black - no leaks. But I'm no expert having only done one of these.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha