lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #1
JLG40
Not Yet Wild

Default new to me 2010 Tomberlin 500, sat for 2 years

Have owned EzGo's for years but just bought a 2010 Tomberlin Emerge 500 LE (because the wife loved the color and the way it looked) Issue is, I have never owned one and took a gamble and bought one from an estate with little if any knowledge. I was told that "It ran when Dad parked it in 2018" but that they could not get it to move, anything to light up...nothing. Upon inspection and prior to taking the batteries out, I was able to get a 5 then 3 flash code. I then removed the batteries and found that most were cracked/damaged from being frozen, (stored in a barn) I also found the brake master cylinder is empty and one 6 pin connector that will need to be replaced due to the plastic disintegrating in my hand. The rest look solid. I have purchased new batteries but am a bit leery of connecting them until I get the 6 pin connector replaced. I am hoping that some of you may have other suggestions on some preemptive things I can do to avoid damaging anything else. I read about the speed sensor when replacing batteries and have made a mental note about that. I also downloaded the brake bleeding process. Looking for some guidance as to what I should do before hooking up the new batteries. Thank you and I look forward to hearing form the group.
JLG40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2021, 04:37 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new to me 2010 Tomberlin 500, sat for 2 years

From what you describe i'd recommend to run away, but it's too late now... the Tomberlin Emerge is a nice looking cart ' made in China ' and If it runs it's not bad. The wiring and connectors are a weak point, so i'd starting there. Check the ITS and the solenoid. The speed sensor is not a problem, you'll find them cheap for Clubcar DS, less then 20$.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...age=107#manual
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
JLG40
Not Yet Wild

Thank you OJO...you are correct I should have walked...no, RAN away...but doing my best to make my wife happy as this will be her cart. So I can use a CLUB Car DS speed sensor, that's good to know. How about the ITS or solenoid you refer me to? Tomberlin only? I would assume other makes may work as well? Suggestions on where to purchase them? Should I just plan on changing them all out now to start fresh from the get go? Is that code (5/3) one that is troublesome? I figured it was due to the batteries being bad. Thank you so much for the guidance
Old 07-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To get parts first check on eBay, i've just found the solenoid MZJ-400 from US seller
https://www.ebay.de/itm/164581907216
The ITS sensor seems to be available in China only...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/122146845643
The fault code 5,3 points to the solenoid coil, maybe due to undervoltage... check Troubleshooting section of the service manual.
Good luck!
Old 07-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Edit

Forget to mention there are two different fault code charts in the manual, one for
codes thrown by the controller and another for codes reading with a Curtis Handset. Both are different!
Old 07-30-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
karly
Getting Wild

think carts made in leesburg fl. parts are probably made in china like every other cart
karly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
JLG40
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: new to me 2010 Tomberlin 500, sat for 2 years, Update

So here is an update. Replaced the master cylinder and purchased new batteries. On my maiden voyage, it went about 100 yards, never exceeded 12 mph and died. I pushed it back into the garage and since I was planning on this based on several other posts...purchased and installed a new speed sensor. Took it out again and while it hit 14mph...it died again after about 150 yards of operation. Just clicking, no codes and had enough and called it a day. I have looked everywhere to find a place to use a scanner and can not find and outlet. This cart was actually made in October of 2009 although it is titled as a 2010. I have been referencing a 2010 repair manual;. Difference between 2009 and 2010? Looking for some suggestions as to what else I need to check and where to find a scanner port. Took apart all the connections,cleaned and placed dielectric grease in them. Lights, turn signals...everything else works but the windshield wiper, dome light and more importantly...it will not run. So, looking for some guidance and suggestions on what to replace/check next. Has 1256 miles on it, if that has any meaning.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You're talking about a scanner port... if the cart is equiped with a Curtis 1268 controller, there is a socket for a Curtis service device (handset) with a 4-pin molex connector (s. enclosed picture). I think the 2008-2010 model are not much different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis1268.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #9
JLG40
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thank you Ojo. It does have a curtis controller, not sure of the model but I will take a look. Where can I purchase a Curtis hand set at for a decent price?Any thoughts on what may be the issue with the cart? Since it sat for a while I was thinking it may be the Hall effect sensor? If so, is there another brand (Club car etc) that would work?
Old 08-03-2021, 05:31 AM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Handsets are rare and not cheap, you'll find them on eBay, search Curtis 1311 (4401 = oem level it's the best). Maybe you can borrow one in your area. The handset is really a great help in troubleshooting, from here it's difficult to diagnosis. The Tomberlin accelerator assembly is a Ezgo part, the hall sensor looks the same but has different connections.

I still have a new sensor here laying around, you could have it for free. Due to Corona, shipping isn't easy at the moment, would be possible with DHL/priority for 30$.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200729_154804.jpg (63.7 KB, 0 views)

Tags
cart sitting for 2 years, tomberlin, tomberlin emerge 500 le
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin