Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #1
car crazy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default A Little Elmco History

Back in the 1970's as a teenager, I remember hearing about Jackie Gleason's custom-built golf cart that resembled a Rolls-Royce that was complete with a television as well as a refrigerated bar. I thought that must be the neatest thing ever, and,if I was ever to have a golf cart, I'd want something like that!
Fast forward 40 years or so, I started researching JG's old cart, and couldn't find any information other than a picture or two, but did see pictures of "Rolls-Royce" golf carts that were built starting in the late '70's up until the late '90's.
I did find out they were made by Elmco, but really couldn't find much more than a brief history.
I have pieced together some history from old news articles, etc.that I wanted to share about Elmco. While some may already be aware of the history, I figured some aren't, so just want to share. Any additional information is most welcomed!
Here goes:
The Elmco story started in 1975, when Elmo Meiners, an Illinois farmer and inventor, and his wife, LaVerne went on vacation to South Florida. LaVerne, who was an avid golfer, showed her husband a picture of Jackie Gleason's custom golf cart resembling a Mercedes Benz that she had seen earlier. She told her husband "I'll bet you could do better". And Elmo took the challenge to heart, and built a cart with a faux Rolls-Royce grille rather than the Mercedes grille. Elmo included a television as well as a refrigerated cooler/bar in the cart. The next time Meiners came down to Florida, he showed Gleason the cart, and Gleason bought it. Word got out, and others approached Meiners ,wanting a similar cart.Meiners then decided to start production, with early carts having an actual Rolls-Royce "Flying Lady" hood ornament, and carrying a $4,500 price tag.. After Rolls-Royce threatened legal action, the hood ornament was changed to a flying eagle, and the official name of the cart became the "Royal Ride". Riding on a Club Car chassis, the original 2 seater model was known as the 11E. Roughly 150 were built per year, and by the late '90's, depending on the options chosen, a Royal Ride could cost up to $14,000. Eventually a 4 seater model known as the 21E was produced, and, in 1992, the sleeker, updated "Sport LE " model was introduced. In the early "90's, Cadillac approached Elmco about building carts, and in 1994 Elmco started producing carts resembling the Cadillac Fleetwood. Production of the original classic 11E Royal Ride ended in 1999, and the company itself ended production in 2002.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg RRGOLFCARTBROOKSSTEVENS.jpeg (10.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rrgolfcart.jpg (44.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg RRGOLFJG.jpeg (6.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RRGOLF.jpg (167.5 KB, 0 views)
car crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: A Little Elmco History

Look at my thread: "Club Car B Models."

This had me stumped for a while.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
car crazy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Any corrections MOST appreciated!
Old 05-31-2021, 10:11 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by car crazy View Post
Any corrections MOST appreciated!
I see nothing to correct. Thank you for posting this.

I bought a 1995 "rolling chassis." It has 3 serial plates on it. One from Club Car with a "B" prefix. It also has "Elmco" and "Royal Ride." The cart must have began life as one of the carts you show or describe above.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
car crazy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Mooncarter..If the serial number of the chassis supplied to Elmco for their Royal Rides starts with a "B", I wonder if there were any differences or upgrades in the chassis supplied to them ? And kind of amazing someone would remove a Royal Ride body, unless it was to install it on a new or upgraded chassis.
Trying to compile as much info as I can on the Elmco Royal Ride.

Thank you,

Jim
Old 06-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks, Mooncarter..If the serial number of the chassis supplied to Elmco for their Royal Rides starts with a "B", I wonder if there were any differences or upgrades in the chassis supplied to them ? And kind of amazing someone would remove a Royal Ride body, unless it was to install it on a new or upgraded chassis.

Thank you,

Jim
Impossible to explain why people do the things they do. Not too many years ago, I saw a guy I know take the original 6 cylinder motor out of a mint condition (I would say almost showroom, 100% original, low mileage) 2 door 1955 Chevy and put a V8 in it. People do all sorts of stuff. I don't know the backstory on mine. Always figured the body must have been so badly damaged it was not worth repairing but that's just a guess. At any rate, it has a 57 Chevy body on it now so I suppose this chassis has never had a stock DS body on it. Unless I have missed something, the chassis, rear, motor, etc. look identical to a DS.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #7
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:

Thank you,

Jim
Jim, you've done your research. They are my favorite carts. I am attaching ones I've owned in case anyone would like to see some others. All but the red/grey one I've fully restored.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R!.jpg (226.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (466.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R3.jpg (106.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R8.jpg (278.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R10.jpg (244.0 KB, 0 views)
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #8
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

The Navy and blue one has been my best restoration yet. Every single piece of the dashboard has been replaced or restored. About as close to a new one as you will get. I have developed a list of a lot of parts if you ever need references. I noticed yours is missing the eagle in the post you shared. Those are available too if you desire online. I removed mine and added a RR hood ornament and badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R4.jpg (318.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R5.jpg (403.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R6.jpg (465.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R7.jpg (288.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R9.jpg (168.4 KB, 0 views)
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:11 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

All very nice golf cart man!
Old 06-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #10
car crazy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Golf cart man- those are some beautiful Royal Rides you have owned-and some magnificent work on the restorations.
Thank you for posting the pics.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration