lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Virjose
Not Yet Wild

Default Icon programming/speed limit?

Hi everyone,

Got a brand new I60L about two weeks ago and it’s been super fun. We got the upgraded AGM 8 6V batteries. We top out at about 27-28MPH (you can feel the controller pretty much stop the cart at 27MPH) and while that’s a good speed, I’m curious if anyone knows if the speed limitation can be programmed out (a specific parameter I assume?)

Also, anyone know of the possibility to affect the programming so that the cart goes a bit faster uphills?

Thanks for any insights into programming so that if I need to contact the dealer for that service I know what I’m up against :)
Virjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Icon programming/speed limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjose
Hi everyone,

Got a brand new I60L about two weeks ago and it’s been super fun. We got the upgraded AGM 8 6V batteries. We top out at about 27-28MPH (you can feel the controller pretty much stop the cart at 27MPH) and while that’s a good speed, I’m curious if anyone knows if the speed limitation can be programmed out (a specific parameter I assume?)
I have an I60L and I40L.

The dealer programming software (usually) comes with a range of 0-6000 RPMs and the RPM:Speed is 200:1. So 6000 RPMs = 30 MPH. I believe this is the same for non-lifted carts, which means it's probably not calibrated correctly for the lifted carts. So when you see 25 it's actually faster most likely (bigger tires).

This is a somewhat arbitrary upper max that ICON picked. I spoke on the phone directly to the guy at ICON who put that in there. He said "I've had these things in the warehouse at 10,000 RPMs with no problems", where I assume heat would be the problem he's looking for, AND he probably was doing motor-only or on jack-stands because that'd be 50mph, but I definitely wouldn't go that fast.

The software upper limit of 6000 is just a parameter in an XML file (text). I just manually edited the file and set my upper software limit to 7000 so that in the actual software I could choose anything from 0-7000 instead of 0-6000. I set mine at 6900 (34.5mph) and that's FAST! It gets speed wobbles because it's lifted. It needs street tires at that speed, trust me...and even then I think it needs tighter suspension if you want to go that fast. And I could actually be going 40mph even though the speedo says 34, who knows? The .5mph just means going down hill it'll bounce between 34/35.

The file to edit is ConfigurationInformationFile.xml and you can see the changes below. That file is in the same directory as the program they run.

Again, this doesn't set your RPMs at 7000 or whatever you put. It just moves the upper-limit the software allows you to program. Your dealer might have to do this with his software...and if he's nervous, you might be SOL or you'll have to convince him to let you copy the software and get your own cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjose
Also, anyone know of the possibility to affect the programming so that the cart goes a bit faster uphills?

Thanks for any insights into programming so that if I need to contact the dealer for that service I know what I’m up against :)
There are a decent amount of settings, but I haven't experimented with enough of them to understand which would affect the uphill performance....I just don't understand them is all. Do I increase torque or what do I change? And there's not 1 torque setting, there are several for like 0-1000 RPMs, 1000-2000 RPMs, etc. But you set those too.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

Here are some screenshots I took of the software a while ago. Disclaimer: my settings might have changed since I took the screenshots, the screenshots are probably not in order, and the screenshots may not have every setting on the screen. They were just ones I wanted to take for some reason. In order to take more, I have to go out to my garage w/my laptop, hook up the cable, etc so these are just ones I found on the computer.

Find the image with #45 next to it. That's what you would edit to adjust the speed. #46 isn't even enabled, but it could be if I can figure out where one of the wires is but I haven't bothered to look. Golf carts have a rabbit/turtle mode, and these are just on "rabbit" mode and ICON didn't bother to connect a turtle switch...but it can be done. I wanted to connect a key-switch so that I could have a 2nd key that would turn the cart into slow-mode when other people are driving it.

You'll see line #45 has a max of 6000. This was before I edited the XML file. After editing the XML file, it said 7000. Under "old" just means your current setting.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
Virjose
Not Yet Wild

Thank you ATrain!

I sent you a private message with a quick question about your location. I think we might be in the same vicinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Here are some screenshots I took of the software a while ago. Disclaimer: my settings might have changed since I took the screenshots, the screenshots are probably not in order, and the screenshots may not have every setting on the screen. They were just ones I wanted to take for some reason. In order to take more, I have to go out to my garage w/my laptop, hook up the cable, etc so these are just ones I found on the computer.

Find the image with #45 next to it. That's what you would edit to adjust the speed. #46 isn't even enabled, but it could be if I can figure out where one of the wires is but I haven't bothered to look. Golf carts have a rabbit/turtle mode, and these are just on "rabbit" mode and ICON didn't bother to connect a turtle switch...but it can be done. I wanted to connect a key-switch so that I could have a 2nd key that would turn the cart into slow-mode when other people are driving it.

You'll see line #45 has a max of 6000. This was before I edited the XML file. After editing the XML file, it said 7000. Under "old" just means your current setting.

Virjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
timicon0ll
Not Yet Wild

I had my i60 reprogrammed for 6000 rpm its plenty fast. I drive about 4 miles on a 35mph road to get downtown and cause no issues with the surrounding traffic.
timicon0ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by timicon0ll View Post
I had my i60 reprogrammed for 6000 rpm its plenty fast. I drive about 4 miles on a 35mph road to get downtown and cause no issues with the surrounding traffic.
That's great...how fast are you able to go?
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
6000 = 30mph on the speedo, but I've been curious how accurate those are on the lifted vs non-lifted. I'd be shocked if his speedo was programmed differently. I've driven past those "Slow Down" speed signs and had different readings.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
6000 = 30mph on the speedo, but I've been curious how accurate those are on the lifted vs non-lifted. I'd be shocked if his speedo was programmed differently. I've driven past those "Slow Down" speed signs and had different readings.
Thanks ATrain...perhaps you could verify with your friends at ICON and ask
if the lifted carts electronic speedo and odo are calibrated for the larger wheel
tire diameter...could help get and insight on this...

Thanks again

Happy cartin'
Old 11-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #9
timicon0ll
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
it's between 27-28 on the GPS
timicon0ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #10
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by timicon0ll View Post
it's between 27-28 on the GPS
I have hit 29 mph...but given the very brief short space between stops signs
the need to brake to a stop..kind of kills the fun ...my cart is very stable
and gets up to speed so smoothly you can't tell sometimes when speeds
creep up to to 20-22mph that you are moving at that speed. With the
silky smooth 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes to haul you down...is impressive.

What is amazing about the I40 is that it does all this while hauling a very
heavy 630lb battery pack...I can only imagine what it would be like if it
were running lithium batteries.

Happy cartin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon