lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Carramrod
Not Yet Wild

Default Let's talk about clutch setup for diesels

Ok I have 3cyl yanmar. 9L with a comet 780 looks like it has green weights I think it was the 1650 engagement setup. Just got it running tonight it was Wot and belt was in the middle of both clutches. I see a 800rpm spring and weight kit will this be too low.
The driven clutch is the stock Yamaha g11 looks rough. But atleast want to use it till I get all the bugs worked out what hole should I clock the spring at.....I have a turbo wouldn't mind getting it to lug low rpms to get it spooling...

Last edited by Carramrod; 10-14-2019 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Wrong rpm
Carramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Let's talk about clutch setup for diesels

You need to have engagement as low as possible. Diesels make power from just above idle to maybe 3k tops. Its possible you might not be able to get full upshift. I'm guessing your ground speed will be less than 20 mph with stock gears. Upgrade to 8:1 gears for sure, maybe even 6:1. That engine will have tons of low end torque to handle the gears.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
Carramrod
Not Yet Wild

So 23" tires Wot both clutches have the belt in the middle I was able to get 14 mph....I think I have 14ish:1 rear axle gears I rolled it and counted the turns. **** ton of torque to got the turbo hooked up today and bumped up to a brick wall and spun the tires. Pretty easily. I ordered springs and weights for the comet 780 to engage at 800 , 1000, or 1100rpms figured I would start with the 800rpm setup. I want to clock the factory spring on g11 secondary clutch but have no clue where to start. I have looked for hours cant find a good tutorial explaining this. Help would be nice. Or links.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Carramrod
Not Yet Wild

Anyone do 8:1 or 6:1 highspeed gears?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Leave your rear spring at the stock setting. Adding more preload to the spring will delay upshift, kinda like keeping you in low gear longer. Also, don't use a heavier spring in the secondary, same deal, too low gear. You don't need more low gear, you need more high gear lol. That diesel has all the torque you need, now you just need to slow the rpm down and get more ground speed.

8:1 gears with 23" tires should get you 20-22 mph, depending upon your rpm. What rpm are you maxed out at? 6:1 will get a little more. You won't lose any low end with that engine.

I've never done the gears, but there's a few that have. Do a search or post another thread about the gears and your particular cart, you'll find someone. I don't think it's all that complicated.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
Carramrod
Not Yet Wild

Ok need some info on how to get the secondary clutch to fully open around 2500rpm. The motor will rev to 3450rpm and the clutches are little more then half way open. Max speed so far WOT was 19mph, with 8:1 gears, comet 780 drive clutch 800rpm engagement springs and weights, has new factory style 2nd clutch with stock spring set too B2.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #7
Carramrod
Not Yet Wild

So I guess I'm going to sell the 8:1 gears and get 6:1 cut a coil and a half off the driven clutch not much of a difference and pretty sure the clutch is fully opened when running. Might have gained 1mph WOT. wish I had a tach so I could see if I was going faster at lower rpms.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #8
simplecart77
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

hi all i previously posted about a d905 clutch install. im still running kawasaki gas engine in the cart and i dissassembled the stock drive clutch... its past a rebuid. do yall have any suggestions as to a new clutch type that will work with the gas and the diesel so i dont have to reconfigure when i get the diesel installed one day
simplecart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Carramrod
Not Yet Wild

Google comet 780 seems to be the easiest to tune that I can find
Old 07-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carramrod View Post
Ok need some info on how to get the secondary clutch to fully open around 2500rpm. The motor will rev to 3450rpm and the clutches are little more then half way open. Max speed so far WOT was 19mph, with 8:1 gears, comet 780 drive clutch 800rpm engagement springs and weights, has new factory style 2nd clutch with stock spring set too B2.
I know this is old post but, the secondary does what the primary tells it to. The spring preload will make it want to down shift more something you don't need with a diesel. It is to make gas engine rev more under load such as an uphill climb. Use stock or less preload, though the belt could maybe slip if you use too little but I doubt it.

The primary you need more weight to lower top rpm, and or you can cut down the spring shorter if you can't get a weaker one...in a single center spring clutch. For 780 you would want weaker springs iirc. If you don't get the belt at top of primary and bottom of secondary at high speed something is wrong.

Check this to see how loose clutches shift and where the belt goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksLJlvY6KA

It would not shift up as fast with more preload on the secondary, but mostly it will sense load more and back shift under load like a hill or towing etc to keep rpm up. Preload is typically pretty weak in carts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps