lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
noquams
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2011 drive Alltrax install and motor temp

Long time lurker first time post.
2011 Drive 12 rims with low profile tires
back seat
stock Hitachi motor

added 400amp Alltrax XCT controller and new wires. pretty flat terrain. Max speed 21. felt motor after 5 min run and it was very hot not burn your hand but hot. I've never felt the motor after a run but wondered if I should be concerned?
I'm also thinking of getting the Admiral Mot-D2 motor. anyone added and if so what were your results? if 24 mph is the max not sure its worth the $$ to swap out motor. Thoughts?
noquams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
pandmautocare
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2011 drive Alltrax install and motor temp

Before adding my navitas controller , I installed a mot d2..... Was running 24 with stock controller and 23 inch tire....tourque was weak , but cart went from 19 to 24
pandmautocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Stock Hitachi motor Sucks, especially with a controller upgrade. It's a ticking time bomb. Hate to say it, but it Sucks. Save your pennies for a good motor. Yamaha did a "round-about" fix by putting in smaller brushes (hastening it's demise). Plan for a different motor. It is as bad as the "tin can" GE motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Stock Hitachi motor Sucks, especially with a controller upgrade. It's a ticking time bomb. Hate to say it, but it Sucks. Save your pennies for a good motor. Yamaha did a "round-about" fix by putting in smaller brushes (hastening it's demise). Plan for a different motor. It is as bad as the "tin can" GE motor.
When the magic smoke comes out of the motor is it likely to damage other stuff too?

Specifically, say you wanted to upgrade a stock YDRE to have a huge controller, thick cables, beefy solenoid, etc. You could break up the project into smaller chunks. Swap out the solenoid first, then do the cables, then do the controller, then do the motor. Let's say you get lazy and don't do the motor. You could throttle back the controller so it's max is 275A just like the stock controller. Or, you could leave the controller at 500A knowing that you would smoke the motor (probably pretty quickly) and have that determine when you bother to get around to swapping out the motor. When the motor blows will it also trash other components?

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The new Alltrax XCT control is the first controller to offer reverse polarity protection on both the input and output ends. Prior to this generation of controls a motor failure was more likely to fry the controller than not... sending a double whamie to the pocketbook.
PS a 500 amp control can fry this motor in a matter of hours. Or should I say a 500 amp control will allow this motor to kill itself in a matter of hours.
Do your homework before you buy.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I can attest to that. I had my Alltrax set to 400 Amps max and I still fried the Hitachi motor in short order.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
noquams
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for all the comments. I planned on a motor and solenoid as well already did the controller and wires. Will the admiral mot-d2 get as hot and what could I expect as far as speed. Not marketing bull
noquams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
pandmautocare
Getting Wild

I use mine on the beach with 600 amp controller ......doesn't seen to get got at all
pandmautocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha