lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
mlj427
Gone Wild

Default Home wiring question

I had asked before about wiring a garage and there was a lot of good info given. My new question is my house was built in 1978 and the wire from the meter to the panel, the range wiring, and the dryer wire are all aluminum. Is there any maintenance I can do to help keep things safe? Replacing the wire would involve ripping a bunch walls out.

Thanks
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Home wiring question

http://www.carsondunlop.com/home-ins...ring-part-one/
http://www.carsondunlop.com/home-ins...ring-part-two/
Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm not an electrician, but have built and remodeled a lot of houses. If it is the Large Wiring you are describing it is not nearly as bad as the smaller wiring used in some areas in the mid-late 60's early 70's for receptacles etc. Call an electrician for professional help.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Short of replacing the aluminum wiring the only maintenance that can be done is to make sure that all of the connections are tight, you could also put noalox or an equivalent electrically rated anti corrosive lube on the wires at the breaker or lugs. But if it was me I would look at changing the stove and dryer wiring to copper at the very least. Just my 2 cents from an electrician of 30 yrs.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
mlj427
Gone Wild

Crash very informative site you listed. Thanks for the information guys.
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

My first house was built around that same time with the aluminum feed. We bought it in 1990. About 2 months after we moved in, the fridge, dishwasher, tv, dehumidifier, and an electric heater were all wiped out. We thought that we took a lightning strike.

Turns out that the lug in the breaker box worked itself loose on the neutral wire. It would burn then connect, burn again, and reconnect. The voltage through the house was all over the place. Up down up down.

The electrician that found it said it was a common thing with aluminum wiring, and that it needed to be re-torqued every once in a while.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
Rsk0125
Not Yet Wild

Just make sure all connectition are tight. Alum. Tends to flatten out and For a lack of better description, does not spring back to help keep connections tight. Over time the fasteners losen, causing the arking issues and sometimes fires. Most service wires are alum., great conductor and much cheaper then copper. Having said that, if the run is not that far and cost is not an issue, peace of mind is always a good thing.
Rsk0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #8
catfish918
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: Home wiring question

All the guys are spot on, there is one product I used to help with oxidation. It's called copper coat. I don't like Aluminum Wire either but as an industrial electrician for most of my career we did annual maintenance on all our switch and Alum/Copper junctions. Most of our success I think was due to cleaning the connections with a stainless steel brush to remove corrosion, dirt, and oxidation. However in a home shop I wouldn't think you have a whole lot of issue.
catfish918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
catfish918
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: Home wiring question

The one thing I always did was take a temperature gun to see if I had elevated temperatures, it's a sure way to find any hot spots. if you have hot spots they do need to be addressed.
catfish918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop