lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Wink Check your battery terminals

Hi guys;
After installing the Digital Battery Meter I purchased from Scottyb's Carts Unlimited, I noticed that the main positive terminal had a build up of junk. I decided to check all the terminals. That was a good call I think. Most of the terminals were corroded and one had a wire that was ready to break off. It took me about 1 1/2 hours, but they are all clean and tight now.
The last time I drove the cart was 2 weeks ago. I fully charged the cart at that time then unplugged the charger. I now have one concern. The new meter was reading 49.6 volts. I decided to put the charger on and the meter read 56.5 volts right away. I have been checking on it every 20 minutes or so and the meter is now reading 57.5 volts. The amp meter on the charger started at 20 amps and slowly dropped down to 5 amps now. It has been 2 hours since I put the charger on and it is not fully charged yet. Should it take this long to charge the batteries?? Should they be that low after 2 weeks just sitting in the back yard??? Seems a bit slow to me, but I am knew to the cart stuff.
Should I have any concerns?
Andy
andystmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Check your battery terminals

Seeing how we don't know what cart were talking about?? and iam guessing it a 48v cart?? it can take up to 16 hours to fully charge the pack, if it is a 48v cart, it will get up to 61volts, before the charger will shut off by it's self, you never want to unplug the charger, untill it is done charging.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by andystmichael View Post
Hi guys;
After installing the Digital Battery Meter I purchased from Scottyb's Carts Unlimited, I noticed that the main positive terminal had a build up of junk. I decided to check all the terminals. That was a good call I think. Most of the terminals were corroded and one had a wire that was ready to break off. It took me about 1 1/2 hours, but they are all clean and tight now.
The last time I drove the cart was 2 weeks ago. I fully charged the cart at that time then unplugged the charger. I now have one concern. The new meter was reading 49.6 volts. I decided to put the charger on and the meter read 56.5 volts right away. I have been checking on it every 20 minutes or so and the meter is now reading 57.5 volts. The amp meter on the charger started at 20 amps and slowly dropped down to 5 amps now. It has been 2 hours since I put the charger on and it is not fully charged yet. Should it take this long to charge the batteries?? Should they be that low after 2 weeks just sitting in the back yard??? Seems a bit slow to me, but I am knew to the cart stuff.
Should I have any concerns?
Andy
How old are your batteries? After sitting for two weeks, its normal the way the charging is working. In the end of a charge cycle the charger equalizes the batteries at a lower amperage. I am going to purchase Scotty's meter as well and a new set of cables from him when I do my battery change in the spring. New 4ga cables is a good investment and I don't want to skimp in this area on an electric cart. You might want to consider a cable upgrade as well
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Everything sounds fine, hope you were able to leave the charger alone to finish.

A wet cell battery (that's what GC have ) will loose 1% of their charge per day. Sooo, 7% in a week ... 14% in 2 weeks... near 20% in 3 weeks = time to recharge even if it hasn't been driven. You can see this with the new meter and you can, probably for the first time, see how the charger works....it will take the pack upto a voltage reading between 58 and 63 volts for a 48v pack...... let it run.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just went out to check on it @ 9:00. It is at 57 volts. I am leaving it plugged in overnight. What will happen if the charge is interrupted or stopped before it is completed? This could happen if there is a power outage at some time.
Thanks guys
Andy
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I guess it would start over when power was restored.
How long it has to charge is relative to how low the batteries are, so the second charge should be significantly shorter, but longer than just leaving it plugged in overnight to shut off when it finished.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all of your info. I am slowly learning.
I will be keeping my cart stored in my garage. It is not heated, but it will be warmer than out in the harsh winter elements of our cold Canadian winters.
Andy
Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by andystmichael View Post
Thanks for all of your info. I am slowly learning.
I will be keeping my cart stored in my garage. It is not heated, but it will be warmer than out in the harsh winter elements of our cold Canadian winters.
Andy
A fully charged battery will not freeze....... being from southern California where cold is below 50 degrees, I have no idea what the heck you are talking about ....... except for vague childhood Midwest & New England memories
If I was you I would be recharging often Meanwhile I plan on driving mine all winter long.... if I can bear the rain.......
Old 10-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi Scotty;
You talk about cold is below 50 degrees. I bet the is Fahrenheit and is above "0". Up here we have to keep our beer in the fridge during the winter so it won't freeze. On average, it is around - 10 degrees F. We get 2 or 3 weeks where it drops to around -20. That is a bit colder than you are use to. I will be keeping an eye on my cart's new meter and charge it accordingly. I think the purchase of the meter will pay off.
By the way. I checked my batteries this morning and the meter read 50.8 volts and the charger was at (0)
Chat to you guys later.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I remember 0 in Chicago with the wind blowing, of course... and Skiing in VT at 22 below because we drove all night to get there
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car