lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
cpu77
Getting Wild

Default Who here has put their own kit together?

I am thinking big block.... Probably a 23hp or 31hp Vanguard. Instead of buying a kit I was wondering if it is very cost effective to peice my own together. The biggest determination I think is if you can get a engine cheap. I know I can buy the motor mount and clutch for about $350? So then I just need some wiring (Not a big deal) and cable linkage. Honestly the $2100 kit is not that bad if you are talking about buying your own engine retail:) However if I could pick pick one up for 800-1000. It makes alot of sense to HASSLE with it?

Opinions please? What did I forget?
cpu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
shawn.m
Gone Wild

Default Re: Who here has put their own kit together?

I did and talked about it here and on buggies unlimited. if you are not really handy the kit is perfect for you.

my build thread
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...l-install.html

if you get the motor for $1000 the kit is worth it. I got my motor for only $550 shipped to my door, so it was worth it for me
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
rockn ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

just buy an old '77 arctic cat panther 500cc snowmobile and put it in, it isn't that hard if you have a few resources i did it for about $300 and i have 61hp and i can go anywhere and climb anything, it isn't that hard i can even send you some pics.
rockn ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
cpu77
Getting Wild

Shawn.M
Nice build thread. I am a do it your selfer:) My only isue is I tend to only do well polished projects. For instance I would have tore your project down to the last bolt blasted it painted it and put it back together. Then played in the mud with it:) I know it makes no sense:) So a kit would keep me from over engineering my own. Although I like the challenge of a true project.

Rockn Ezgo
That is a cool project. Did you use the drive clutch from the sled? I figure this would be a good time to buy a sled:) So are all the sleds in that size that powerfull? I would love to see pics.

Thanks
Ralph
cpu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
todwil
TOD WILD

I have done several swaps ,building the kit is all the fun of
doin it yourself...IMO the 23hp is peppier in stock form I put
31hp in mine and without some mods it wasnt that inpressive
If your going to hopup the engine I would go with the 35hp
(1000cc) briggs with the right parts it easily converted to
60+hp!!!!!!
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
rockn ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

most new sleds that are 500cc are liquid cool so they actually put out like 80-90 hp but mine is fan cooled so it is less but none the less i have about $750 into mine and it looks pretty good besides the rip in the seat and i need new rocker panels. i will post pics tommorrow.
rockn ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Goat53
Gone Wild

I put a 18 hp briggs opposed twin flathead ( former lawntractor pulling engine ) in my Hyundai took a while but i've never been in a hurry anyway , with '0' engine cost , did it for under 700 cart cost included .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!