lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
kwjosh
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Driven Clutch Spring

OK I need some help here. I have installed 18hp Vanguard in my 99 CC and I used the adapter from CCP to use my stock clutches. I was wondering if this set up will work properly? My next question is since the rotation has changed and forward is reverse and reverse is forward do I need to change the spring in the driven pulley because of the way the spring wraps or will the stock spring work ok?
kwjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Driven Clutch Spring

It depends on if the clutch has ramps both directions, then you are ok and it will work both ways fine. If not then hard to say, it will not be right. The dual direction secondaries I have seen just have a standard spring in them and there is no preload, no ends on the spring to wrap it with.

That said I am sure there are threads on it here, I'm not 100% on CCs though I have worked on them some.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
kwjosh
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the quick response.I do believe the primary has ramps on both sides so I think it will be ok but the secondary was what was confusing me because of the 3 notches in both sheaves and the finger that is both ends of the spring.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A primary usually does not care, though I would verify your particular one. The secondary will as the ramps control the torque sensing from the engine. They are what make the rpm drop when you drive at a steady speed then let it rev up when you floor it. Or, look for other threads here about them, I know many have converted the engine to normal rotation without jackshafts/etc and made it work.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
jeremykent
Gone Wild

I just did a similiar conversion. I did replace the drive clutch with something else. However I have been told many times the drive clutch does not care what rotation it is. On the driven clutch your 99 should have been a clockwise rotation with the original motor and the Briggs is counter clockwise. If this is what you have CPP has a driven clutch spring that you can install for about 10.00. If I remember correctly the clockwise spring is green and the clockwise is white. Hope this helps.
jeremykent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Right if it actually has ramps in both directions but has a preload (wound) spring, then you need to get the spring that winds the other direction. Other brands I have seen they don't preload with dual direction. You don't really need the spring for reverse so it can preload if they want it to.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
kwjosh
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the responses....Jermeykent what did you use for a new primary clutch and did you install the high speed gears also?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tom at cpp can answer that,give him a call.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
jeremykent
Gone Wild

on the Primary I used a comet I think. It has a 1" keyed bore that fit without having to cut the crank. I got this off a buddy for 225.00. I think thats what he paid for it on ebay. However it does use 1 3/16 belt so even though I modified the original driven clutch to work I am not getting full speed. I am at like 14MPH. However as long as the kids can drive it and not tear it up I will continue on to the lift kit and other stuff and worry about speed when its done.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
jeremykent
Gone Wild

Sorry no I have not installed high speed gears.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!