lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
horaceman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2010 Precedent Batteries Not Holding Charge

I searched through a lot of other posts but did not find any describing the exact issue I am experiencing. I have a 48V 2010 Precedent with (6) 8V Deka batteries that are dated 4/19. When I first installed them, I was able to drive the cart at full speed for much longer times before the power indicator would begin to drop. I am finding the power dropping after shorter distances and seems to be getting worse. Also, when right off the charger, the LED lights work perfectly. As soon as the power indicator drops one bar, the lights dim significantly when I press the accelerator pedal.

I checked the fully charged battery pack and it registered 52.1V. The individual batteries showed 8.71 - 8.75V. I have an upgraded controller and motor. I believe the controller is a Curtis but do not have the specs.

I am curious if I have a battery problem, a charger problem or something else. I know just enough about golf carts to be dangerous, but if anyone needs additional setup info, I will try to provide. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
horaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 Precedent Batteries Not Holding Charge

Did you run the main negative battery cable through the hole in the OBC? If not you would have that type of a problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What Charger do you have?
Where are you lights and other accessories grounded? If it’s straight to the battery pack then you need to re-locate those grounds because the OBC is not able to account for the power usage from those and may not fully recharge the pack.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

What does the voltage get to when it is charging? It could well get into the 60's and get the batteries bubbling. If that is not happening then then the batteries could be sulfating.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
horaceman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked the wiring and it looks like the negative wire is going through the OBC. Also, all of the accessories appear to be attached to the positive on battery #1. For the negative terminals, I only saw one extra wire and it is the blue wire on battery #4 in the attached photo of my setup.

As for the charger, I have an onboard Lester Model 17935 PowerDrive. I checked the voltage while charging and it was 58.4V. I also checked the individual batteries and had one battery at 9.24V and the other five were 9.71-9.82V. These voltages were checked after charging overnight and unplugging the charger and then plugging it back in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2244.jpg (186.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I would start a "OBC hate group" but i might get in trouble....I know, I know i should accept them for what they are, but really they are the spawn of the devil himself. :}
I celebrated when Club Car took away the OBC, and who says that prayers are not answered
Enjoy the ride today
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That wire on negative of post of battery #4 is actually your 16v positive tap for accessories, bad idea to tap a few batteries for accessories as it puts the pack out of balance.

It is hard to see how the wires are stacked on the pack positive post but the main cable should always go first in direct contact with the lead surface of the battery post.

The charger cable and voltage converter go on top. You have extra wires there that you may want to trace.

The negative for accessories should be connected to the 10ga black wire with a yellow bullet connector located in the battery area.

That wire comes from Controller B- (other side of OBC) and allows for the OBC to keep track of how much energy is being removed from the pack by the accessories.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
horaceman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I actually have another charger someone gave me that allows me to bypass the OBC. Unfortunately, when I followed the installation instructions, the charger was showing a fault and the cart wouldn’t do anything when off the charger. I will check the connections as recommended, but should I look into getting the other charger working so I can bypass the OBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is no indication from what you are describing that the OBC has a problem, it just looks like someone improperly wired the accessories.

Put the cart in Tow.

Disconnect the pack negative cable and leave it disconnected for more than 10 minutes.

While the negative cable is disconnected, place only the pack positive cable on battery # 1 and the 10ga red wire from charger receptacle, leave the other red wires OFF until you find out where they go.

Disconnect the blue wire from negative post of battery #4.

Connect the pack negative cable.

Put the cart in Run.

Plug the charger and let it finish the charge, it will take longer than normal as the OBC will use a dV/dT algorithm instead of just replenishing the energy removed.

Get a 48->12v converter if your cart does not have one.

Batteries that are charged in Series must be drained in Series, if you remove more energy from two batteries for accessories they may no longer charge to full and the other four batteries could overcharge.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
horaceman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’m playing golf with the cart today, but when I’m done, I’ll follow your instructions and report back. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car