lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax Programming

OK, so controller now fixed thanks to help on other thread. Now trying to get the Controller Pro to work so I can tweak the programming parameters a little from factory defaults.

To put it simply, I cannot get the software to see the controller...period. I have tried every single driver version I can find for the USB-SErial cable, and none of them work. Running it on a 3yr old Compaq with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit...

Computer sees the cable and it comes up as working correctly, but no matter what I do, when I launch the Controller Pro App, it gives me the "Motor Controller not found" pop up error...
cbryan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax Programming

The LED on the controller must be lighted (Red or Green) BEFORE you open the program.

The program can only 'find' the controller when it is powered up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Angry Re: Alltrax Programming

Man, you are up early :-)

Yep, all powered up and steady green on LED...aaaand nothing, nada, zip

Tried switching port, and latest driver for serial adapter, as well as two prior driver versions and nothing works. Very frustrated with Alltrax at this point...this is ridiculous in today's world to be so antiquated. I mean really?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Now when I launch controller pro from the shortcut on my desktop it just does nothing except show it minimized in task bar...uuuuggghhh! reinstalled it and that didn't help. Hard to believe that such a quality looking piece of hardware could be this bad...they should hire an 11 year old kid to re-do their apps...all it is is a bunch of sliders and toggles...should run from, IOS, Android and any version of Windows newer than 1986...
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

"in today's world" an alltrax SPM is available, uses a usb printer cord (type a to b), doesnt have to be connected to any power source. Are you using the "gigaware" type cord (look on ebay if you dont know)? Have you tried anyone elses computer? With the exception of a fried controller, or not powered up controller, i have never had any trouble. I have used ControllerPro on XP, Vista, And 7.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What USB to Serial adapter are you using?

Not all of them work with Controller Pro even though your computer says they are installed and working properly.

There are also two versions of Controller Pro. One for controllers manufactured 2005 and before and one for 2006 an later.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Concur. I have a neighbor who does industrial automation, which used to be easier when laptops had serial ports. He carries several different USB to Serial adapters, as some work on some devices and others work on other devices. I know the one I bought from ScottyB works fine with my controller, but refuses to talk to my telescope.

And I've never been able to talk RS485 to my VFD.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Alltrax Programming

Thanks for the input guys. I managed to get it to work, although it was more involved than one would hope...

Had to install XP clone OS to run under Virtual PC, then run the USB-serial adapter (blue one that is widely thought to be compatible) XP driver circa 2005. Did a new install from Alltrax site from within XP clone, and low and behold...
It then opened Controller Pro and found the motor controller at last allowing me to verify settings and adjust a couple things. Set Throttle Up and Down both at 9 from 5 default, min voltage at 28 and max V at 50. and have her running at 85% left rest at default settings.

My main motivation for getting Controller Pro working was that I am planning to add a battery and go to 42V soon, so I needed to know I could get in and adjust things for that.

Cart ran 23 on a 90% charge after putting her back together on 18" tires, stock motor with 2ga welding cable upgrade throughout. set at 9, she takes off right on the edge of wheelspin with just me in the cart.

And now on to the next chapter...

Last edited by cbryan88; 11-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you got your computer and controller talking to each other.

What the various adjustments and selections do and how they interact aren't well defined or explained in the Controller Pro manual, but I believe I have them figured out pretty well, so if you have any questions about any of them, give me a yell and I'll share what I think it does and its impact on performance.

IE: The Throttle Up Rate set to 9 is mitigated by the Max Output Current set to 85%, but it is still fairly aggressive, so make sure the castle nuts on the rear axles are torqued upwards of 140 Ft/Lb to reduce the potential of stripping the hub and axle splines.

The Throttle Down Rate determines how aggressively regen braking is applied, while the Brake Current % setting determines the amount of regen braking.

A couple hints for obtaining the highest top speed.
Inflate tires to max air pressure.
Fully charged battery.
Accelerate slowly to max speed. (Quick starts drop battery voltage)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax, dcx, pds, serial, usb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO