lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
bayareamtnbiker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Would like "The Drive" to drive uphill faster

My neighbor and I both have ’08 “Drives” that go 19mph on level ground, but slow way down to not much over 10mph climbing our hill home (1.5 miles of 10% grade). We'd like to hold speed better on the hill. Anybody upgraded a Drive? Is the 4.3HP GE motor some sellers have viable, and what is required, like for example controller, cables? How many mph might a motor like that add to the climb home (4.3HP is 23% more horsepower than the stock 3.5HP).

Aftermarket people I've contacted so far have nothing available yet for this car, although some have things in development that might be out in a year.
Thanks.
bayareamtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Would like "The Drive" to drive uphill faster

Welcome to BGW

The HP rating doesn't mean you will gain MPH. You need to look at the RPM rating and compare it with what you have now. Have you contacted EMP motors? They can build motors to work with your exsisting components. (within reason) Electrical Motor Products Just give ema a call and tell them what you have...they even have an online form you can fill out and they will make a suggestion based off your input. I really don't know if they offer anything for the Drives Just yet...I know they do re-work regen motors.

http://www.empinc.biz/customer_questionnaire.php
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
bayareamtnbiker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the reply roady.
I'll report back when I have some info. to share.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
bwy112301
Not Yet Wild

D and D motors is another company that specializes in golf cart motors and controllers. Google D and D motors and enter your cart info and they give suggestions. None of the upgrades are cheap! One problem is that when you need torque you often give up speed.
bwy112301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
bayareamtnbiker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here’s what I’ve learned to date. Please advise if you have better info.
The Drive is still “new” so there isn’t much available yet for upgrades. D&D, EMP, and Nate don’t have anything yet. 3.5 hp 2.6 kW motor cores are not plentiful so motor rebuilders are doing them. Altrax is working on a controller for 2010 sometime, to replace the 270A stock unit. Many places sell the D397 GE 4.3 hp 3500 rpm motor w/ regen & tach, for about $600. The factory claims it to be plug compatible and supposedly gives 23+ mph on flat ground with the stock controller, but need controller upgrade if drive on hills. Someone said the D397 is the same as the D396 (for the G19), just with different gray triangular regen plug. Don’t know if the stock controller would overheat and fail or trip a thermal protection circuit if someone stressed it heavily on a hill with a 4.3 motor. It would take almost no extra amperage to go 4 mph faster on the flat, but I need to climb a mile long 6% grade. A 400 amp controller is recommended for hill climbing, 500A w/5 hp motor. Cable upgrades to #2 weld or 4AWG are a good idea (for battery, motor, F/R switch and controller). Red Hawk Albiongolfcars claims a system that increases torque 30%, not sure what it is. Several people I know that have upgraded their Yamaha electrics were disappointed because they needed new batteries after only 2 years, vs 6-7 years stock. Ouch! I’ve already had a <1 year old Trojan battery fail internally, and replaced under warranty. The Yamaha battery warranty is 1 year, so too bad for me if another one fails. I’m a little reluctant to spend $1500 -$2000 at this point to get up the hill faster and eat up batteries every 2 years, but may yet go for it. As it is, I can barely make 36 holes and get home, so less mileage from my batteries would be a bad thing.

By the way, did anyone read about Bob Lutz of GM and the Volt? It’s supposed to be good for 40 miles, but he got only 27 miles on full electric “because of the cold weather”. "It varies a lot more than the range variation with a gasoline-powered car depending on your driving style," Lutz said. http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci...nclick_check=1
It would suck in freezing cold Detroit to have your electric car die 10 miles from home wouldn't it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha