lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 rear clutch shaft worn? Help!

What's up everybody! I've got an issue with my brothers g2 I need some help on.

Cart is a gas g2 all stock. The clutch on the rear end was making all sorts of noise for a while, so he had it replaced with a new one. Less than 1 month later and the new clutch is making even worse noise. The guy who replaced it took it back apart and said the shaft the clutch sits on it's grooved/worn which is why the clutches are failing.

Should I look for a rear end for the cart? How hard of a job is it to replace that shaft if at all possible?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!
LoudLowNslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 rear clutch shaft worn? Help!

You can replace the shaft and bearings, but you'll have to remove the transaxle and disassemble it. Not an easy task if you've never done that kind of work before. If you aren't afraid of it, go for it. Don't order the new parts until you are sure what failed and that you can do the work. If it's bad, you can't really ruin it any worse than it is right? A good used transaxle will run you $200-$400 depending upon condition. If you can find one at a reasonable cost, it would be easier to remove and replace the whole unit, rather taking one apart for repair.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Make sure the clutch is not riding into the trans case because the c clip failed. A clip holds it from hitting the case. You can get a spacer to go on it that sits in the splines and will not fail.

I'd take the clutch off and inspect the shaft. Since the shaft is steel and the clutch parts aluminum I'm not sure how they could harm the hardened shaft, but wear is possible as is bearing failure inside on the shaft. Should be able to see what is going on with the clutch off.

I've not seen one fail, maybe others here have.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

FAIL

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Dave, that ones definitely a fail.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yeah, but Dave has the dana axle, which i have had to do repairs on every single part of over the years. The G2 axle referred to in this thread is the Yamaha built axle, which i have only ever needed to do minimal repairs on over the years (i also have a G2 & G9). While i have never seen a snapped input shaft on either model, in my experience the Yamaha built axle has been a bit more durable over the "long haul", and i have never had to "split the case" on the yamaha built axle. I have seen the sliding sheave area on the input shaft worn some on both models of axle. The only time i have seen wear bad enough to require input shaft replacement involved a sliding sheave that was so far beyond "worn out" that the brass bushing did not even exist anymore (this particular example was bad neglect, NOT normal wear & tear, when your clutch sounds like a blender full of rocks & the cart wont do 2 mph).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The first G2 rearend that I put in my G1 tore the sliding sheave up due to a worn input shaft. Probably due to years of neglect. After checking out the price of a new input shaft I went and bought another rearend. Cost was about the same.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha