lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 AM   #11
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Solar Panel Charging

Bob,

Did you use a charge controller for your solar roof? If so, what type.

Thanks,
Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
When I lived in S Florida, I used solar power to charge my cart. I never had to use the cart charger over a period of years. I mounted the panels, stacked side by side, held together with galvanized angle iron full of holes from Home Depot, as a solar roof. It worked quite well. The solar roof was one panel longer and a little wider than the cart, but it was not an issue when divided evenly front to back. The mounting holes in the panels lined up really close to where the angles bolted nicely to the original roof supports.
Was waiting on you to chime in! It was really a curiosity factor since solar is taking off more than ever and again, there are days when I either leave the cart in the driveway all day while working in garage or it sits in in laws driveway while we are at their house for the day. 8 hours easy in FULL sun. FULL SOUTH FLORIDA AUGUST SUN. Sounds like the tech isn't there yet where its necessarily portable and sizeable to a cart but as you said with some added fold out panels, sounds like you can get wattage you need to make it work. Cost isn't there yet either where Im going to run out and do it.
geoffarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 AM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The charge controller was a simple PWM type, but it was not really of much use for charging. If you can match the arrays MPP voltage to the battery packs nominal voltage, the OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) tapers charge current off all on its own. The primaru use of the charge controller was its load output control. It would turn off a relay on the charge controller when battery voltage reached 50% SoC. It had a potentiometer for setting that cutoff SoC. I had bought a collision damaged solar powered road sign trailer from auction for a couple hundred $, and that charge controller came with that trailer. It would disconnect the pack. I added a toggle switch that allowed me to connect the solar array to the drive solenoid. I could cruise at about 5 to 7 MPH in full sun with the batteries disengaged. I used that to creep back home a time or two so I could let it charge back up while I did something else. Otherwise I would fish while it charged right where I was.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO