lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy 1988 ezgo gas cart

I'm new to the 2cycle gas engine world but have always wanted to try my hand here. For the life of me I cann't seem to wrap my head around how this thing works, does the engine run in idle after you get it started or shuts down until you press the gas pedal? how can the governor ever engage when the belt just rides on the output shaft and around the differential pulley and neither is cogged for a belt and it's loose around them. also the throttle cable cann't open the throttle up with the governor cable connected in the fashion it is with the holding clamp on the side of the throttle plate keeping it in the closed position under spring tension from the lever on the frame where the other end of the governor cable connects. I just need someone who can explain the basic principle of operation from key on to pressing the pedal to make it go and how the governor kicks in to let it move. Any help?
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ezgo gas cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lane66 View Post
I'm new to the 2cycle gas engine world but have always wanted to try my hand here. For the life of me I cann't seem to wrap my head around how this thing works, does the engine run in idle after you get it started or shuts down until you press the gas pedal?The engine should not idle when you release the throttle a microswitch opens which removes the supply to the coil. how can the governor ever engage when the belt just rides on the output shaft and around the differential pulley and neither is cogged for a belt and it's loose around them. At rest the clutch on the engine (the drive clutch ) should be wide open and the belt loose. The clutch on the rear axle (driven clutch should be shut. As you rev up the engine the drive closes and grabs the belt, as it closes further it increases its diameter which forces the driven clutch to open up. This is how a constant velocity drive works. I suggest you put it on stands and have a look to see what is happening. also the throttle cable cann't open the throttle up with the governor cable connected in the fashion it is with the holding clamp on the side of the throttle plate keeping it in the closed position under spring tension from the lever on the frame where the other end of the governor cable connects. When there is no cable attached to the throttle butterfly it will be fully open. The cable from the pedal holds it shut, as you press the throttle you feed in more cable and the throttle opens. I just need someone who can explain the basic principle of operation from key on to pressing the pedal to make it go and how the governor kicks in to let it move. Any help? So you turn the key on and press the throttle this gives 12 volts to the coil and the starter solenoid which cranks the engine. As you open the throttle the engine spins faster as does the clutches. As the driven clutch goes faster it opens up and eventually pushes a lever that pulls the govenor cable that closes the throttle. This is why there has to be a spring between the arm on the carburetor and the stop on the throttle cable.
Does that do it?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Go get m Dave great job as always
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
danger42
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ever since I got my cart '87 gas EZGO 2 weeks ago, I've had 3 people ask me why it doesn't "idle". Now I can finally explain it. Thanks guys!
danger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

well I reattached the battery turn the ign. on and pressed the pedal. the engine spun but would only do so if it was in reverse,,,,I think,,, putting it in the other position and nothing. so i put it back where it would spin. I did get it to run but wouldn't keep running. I had it on a jack so the wheels were off the ground. the drive to the differential never engaged while the engine was at full speed running. the drive belt moved around but never engaged to move the rear wheels. Man I wish you were here to see what I'm trying to tell you. but the other info. was helpful,,,alot
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

So it seems that you have three seperate issues here

1. The engine only starts in reverse
2. The engine won't stay running
3. The clutch does not engage

1. The fact that it starts in any direction is good news. All the big direction switch does is to reverse the polarity to the small coil in the starter motor. I would start by disconnecting the battery and then taking the direction switch apart. The hardest part of that job will probably be removing the grub scew that holds the lever on (I had to drill mine out). With the thing apart you can clean the connectors and make sure that they are making contact. You should be aware that although the circuit diagram that Brew City posted on the zx800z thread shows a reverse limit switch you may not have one fitted. Very early models had a relay which prevented you changing direction with the engine running. The switch is a throw back to those days. Alternatively you could try squirting copious quatities of WD40 in there and changing the direction lever several times in the hope that you polish some corrosion off the contacts. There is also a very small posibility that the brushes in the motor are so worn that they will not pick up in forward but I think if that were the case you would probably hear the motor trying to do something.

2. This may sound srange but are you absolutely sure the engine is running? With a fresh battery the little 2PG cranks at quite a speed and gives the illusion that it is running when in fact it is just cranking at 1000 rpm. If you are sure that it is running (nice throaty roar from the exhaust, maybe a touch of smoke) then we need to address why it doesn't stay running. It sounds like fuel starvation and that could be as simple as a blocked fuel filter. Why don't you pull the line to the carburetor and crank the engine. You should see big healthy spirts of fuel, not a trickle not a dribble but a good jet. (I don't need to tell you to be carefull with all that gas do I?). Report back on that and we can take it further.

3. The clutch won't engage. Well I hate to keep beating that drum but that is also a symptom of the engine cranking but not starting, but let us assume that the engine is running. What you say isn't quite correct as the clutch on the differential is always engaged. It should be tight shut with the belt at the outer circumference. If you grab that clutch and turn it the back wheels will move. If they don't then you have a problem with the back axle such as a stripped spline. It is more likely that your drive clutch (the one on the engine) is frozen open (or the engine isn't starting so the clutch never gets to spin fast enough to close). So just confirm that the drive clutch is always open even when the engine is reving freely and we can take this further.

Dave
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

good info. I have to date replaced the carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line, starter/gen, all cables for accelerator/governor/choke, electrical cables to battery/starter,gen , spark plug and wire, battery, and all small electrical wiring that needed it,,,all new. i can turn the rear wheels and the differential does spin so I don't think I have a problem there. Your right it may not be running like I thought it was. I'll start with what you have given me. I'm positive we'll be able to figure this out. It was just trying to start and I took that as it was running. This is a whole new world to me. I'm use to putting together small blocks and knowing how to make them run. but I'm learning!!!!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP I'll let you know later on how I did today,,,,,Semper Fi,,,. MYGYSGT
Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

1lane66 - Do you have a manual? I have a '85 manual and find it to be very helpful when working on my '87 cart. I'll send you a PDF copy if you PM your email address to me.

nomo
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I got it to run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the fwd/rvs switch needed to be cleaned just as you said. the micro switches were ok one was not being made. put it all back together and now it runs in both fwd and rvs.. BUT,,, it still doesn't engage the differential to move fwd or rvs. What is the black cone looking thing on the differential? The large silver looking weight on the rear of the motor out put shaft is spinning it's butt off but the drive belt is just sitting there and never engages. I'm just glad you guys have been able to help me get it down to just one problem now. THANKS ALOT. now to get it move........MYGYSGT one other question .....How tight should the drive belt be? Not sure if mine is stretched to far or not.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The large silver looking weight on the rear of the motor out put shaft is spinning it's butt off but the drive belt is just sitting there and never engages.

That is your drive clutch. As it gets faster the weights inside spin and centrifugal force closes the faces of the clutch which in turn grab the belt. It would appear that the clutch is frozen and this can happen after a long period of inactivity. Some clutches are repairable but most are not. Have a look at the clutch cover and see if it is removable. If you can get into it you may be able to see what is hanging it up. If you can't then you could try hitting it with some PB Blaster. It's not really recommended but if you clutch is shot then you have nothing to loose.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO