lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #21
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 295 robin pulsar coil question

Trig, Are these plug boots straight through
Yes. Pulser coil has the male terminals . The connector it plugs into get out of whack and you won't get a good connection
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #22
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I do have a signal getting to the coil but unfortunately I have been looking at other things. As I have mentioned I have 2 new coils (not pulsar, the other ones)and the original (that ohms correctly at the spade terminals) that have been tried with no success. 2 new ignitors and 2 pulsar coils. The owner of the cart is a pretty decent mechanic, and I have a friend who is a cart dealer that does his own mechanic work, and we are all scratching or heads on this one. The only thing I have found was the pulsar coil that isn't putting out the voltage it's supposed to, but there is a signal getting to the coil. It has a new separate ground wire connecting everything (battery, chassis, ignitor, engine, coil) and the voltage regulator has been disconnected to assure no feedback.
ncfenceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #23
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

When did it last run ?

You said your red wire on coil was flashing test light ? and white wire is flashing test light ? right . When you spin the engine over ?

I have a cart with the pre-MCI engine in my basement right now. I just tested the red wire with a cheap Harbor Freight DVOM set on DC 20 volts.

When spinning the starter over. I get right 9.8 volts on coil red wire when I push pedal lightly . I get 7.5 volts on white wire. Mine fires and cranks the minute you push on pedal to go.

I also tested the Pulser coil with my cheap meter set on 20 AC volts, not 200 like I think I said before. Sorry if I did say that. I make more mistakes as I get older. You will understand when you get my age.

It generates about 1/2 volt AC . If I move the meter scale to next setting which is 200 I get the same as you do. Your Pulser is good, I can just about bet you.
We got to get this thing going. Here is what my pulser looks like in case anyone wonders how many AC volts it should generate with the DVOM set on 20 volts. I set it on 200 and you will see at end of video the same reading you got. My movie making needs some tweaking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Puu...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #24
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

We are going to mess with this a little later today but I have one quick question. Several people have played with this cart before I got it here and I was wondering if the wires on the coil were correct. My red wire (12volt supply) is toward the rear of the cart and the white (from the ignitor) is toward the front of the cart. Is that correct?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #25
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The coil should be marked + and - . Red goes to + which is normally toward front of cart. White to -. It will run connected in reverse order but the right way is red = +
Old 04-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #26
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Nothing new to report, just a update. I ran a hot wire to the coil directly from the battery to the coil + (which was unmarked on both new coils, thanks Trig123), a ground to the coil mounting bolt just to remove any variables. I got no spark. I can touch a ground to the coil - and get a spark. Switched the new ignitor with another new ignitor, same result. Switched the new pulsar with another new pulsar coil, (gapped at .26) same result. With the current set up I thought I would see a flashing ground with a test light on the ignitor, white, ground wire while disconnected. Nope... All of the connections have been replaced and the wires bypassed or double checked for continuity. The ignitor ground is wired directly to the battery negative. The coil is not receiving a ground signal from either of the ignitors or the ignitor isn't receiving a signal from the pulsar coil. Which still reads .1 volt AC, but they ohm correctly according to trig123's previous post. Anything changes, I'll let you know.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #27
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd suspect a wiring issue, or possibly a bad ignitor. Have you checked continuity from the pulsar to the ignitor? (Through the connectors)? Have you verified power at the ignitor?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #28
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I would lean more toward the ground wires.

There is a braided ground cable that came on these carts.

It leaves the negative side of battery and goes to bracket that holds voltage regulator, ignitor and solenoid.

From there it goes to ground on starter/generator. Then up to the bracket that holds the coil . The braided ground cable has an eye in it and bolts to the coil bracket into engine where the fan cover bolts up .
Is yours this way ?

I can't tell you the number of times I have found the bracket that holds the voltage regulator, ignitor and solenoid rusted on bottom. I just remove the bracket and grind all the rust and paint off it and frame of cart so I am sure I get 100% good ground.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #29
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I was suspect of the ground early on so I put a new 10 gauge ground wire from the battery negative, to the ignitor bracket (and ignitor ground), on to the chassis, to the engine block and to the coil mounting bolt, in one continuous wire.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #30
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

OK, just want to make sure your bracket is not rusty where ign, regulator and solenoid are bolted on.
When I think a coil is bad I just lay one of top of engine and plug wires in. The metal bracket that the coil mounts to I don't think has to be grounded to anything.
When did this cart last run ??
You never said if your meter had a 20 scale on it AC current ? That's the only way you will get the correct reading when testing it. Anything higher on the meter and it will show .1 like you stated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO